Low-level newbie

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Low-level newbie

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome :)
AmeliaPeabody wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 pm Hello everyone,

I'd describe myself as a fairly low-level prepper. I'm not too worried about any large-scale shtf situations but rather things like weather related issues, power cuts, illness, and the like. Recently also any financial ramifications from Brexit.

So far I've been focusing on planning and stocking my larder as well as some practical plans for the future.

remember store what you eat , eat what you store and practice stock rotation biggest pain is water as it's heavy and bulky...

I've invested in some camping equipment for the family - sleeping bags, a tent, a Kelly Kettle, etc. I figure it will come in handy in case of emergencies but also as a way to have cheaper family holidays as funds are limited.

great idea sleeping bags are good but remember a good ground mat is worth 3 on top in terms of keeping warm you loose more heat into the ground than up in some situations. Kelly kettles are great but remember you need plenty of fuel to run it and it makes smoke so you can't brew up inside...

In fact many of my preps are about being organised and frugal more than anything else if I'm being completely honest, as to me that is what preparedness is mainly about.

the humble shopping list twinned with a meal list planning and smart shopping help especially if you hit the yellow stickers, plus shipping about for insurance / utilities

I've a lot to learn, I know, which is why I wanted to join. I'm looking very much forward to the inspiration and practical insight into prepping this place offers.

welcome again just remember to think hard before you buy and shop about that 5 season sleeping bag looks great. Till you can't get in it on a summer night without cooking, for example, you probably have plenty of stuff at home that you can use.... But a spare pack of batteries for the torch means you get plenty of life out of it etc
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
AmeliaPeabody

Post by AmeliaPeabody »

Some excellent advice here, Thanks :)
Chunk

Post by Chunk »

Hi there & welcome