New in Devon

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Hookie1966

New in Devon

Post by Hookie1966 »

Hi Everyone
I am new to prepping but been thinking about it a lot lately with the way the world is going as like many people there is something not right at the moment with the world and the planet,deep down feeling lol.
I am Ex Forced and still got basic kit like Bergen.bivvy bag and sleeping bag and mess tins that sort of thing.
I feel a sudden urgency though gut feeling.
If anyone would be so kind as to look at my list and tell me if I have missed anything or if anyone near me in Devon.
Bergen
Sleeping bag
Bivvy bag
Tent.
Water filtration system
First aid kit
Fire starter tin.
Hatchet for wood
Knifes for general purposes
Self defence sorted
Good torch
Mess tins
Small stove and fuel.
Boots
Warm clothing
Waterproofs

I think that’s about it for now but obviously that is bug out bag if can not stay in own property.
If anyone can tell me what else will need be great full.

I live in Plymouth and 52 years old in Fusiliers in 90s and last 29 years worked on Roads and Highways.
Married 6 children all grown up living all over UK.
Sorry that was the bit about me to introduce myself.
hobo

Re: New in Devon

Post by hobo »

Welcome and thanks for your intro!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome..

Worth considering a "hotel or mates floor" kit

For more normal short term evacuation such as nutter 4 doors up has decided to take up DIY explosive making or the garage at the end of the road catches fire and the fire service get their worry on over oxy acetaline cylinders or Bob the builder digs up a ww2 bomb / water leak flooding you out

You won't need half the kit in a bergan in the local travel lodge or sports hall floor imagine a random person seeing you emptying your bag out to find the escaping Yorkie bar and seeing a army survival knife in this anti knife histeria world (obviously the loons sticking them into each other is a problem. They are liable to "run for help from the nutter"

But a copy of your house / car insurance..

A mains phone charger and power bank . For ringing insurance co

A selection of change for the vending machine

Towel and soap etc

For example
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Hookie1966

Post by Hookie1966 »

:lol: thank you for your input but already got that plan in place.
The Bergan and my bug out bag is for a more serious situation that might crop up like pub shuts early lol
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hookie1966 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:08 pm :lol: thank you for your input but already got that plan in place.
The Bergan and my bug out bag is for a more serious situation that might crop up like pub shuts early lol

A wine box is nice and compact in the bottom of the bag!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

hello 8-)

I would say that as far as bugging out goes, a couple of hundred quid is worth keeping to hand too; if you get marched off the local leisure centre, you might decide you'd rather get in a B&B.

Another thing worth considering is a "hospital bag", if you or a loved one gets carted off in an ambulance, you need to have a grab bag with a few bits a pieces in it. Coins for the tea machine as Yorkshire Andy says, money for a cab home, phone charger, an easy to read book (I got carted to A&E a couple of years back and if the Mrs hadn't been there to entertain me I'd have died of boredom).
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, the guys have covered it but you're more likely to need a bag for a hotel/friends house than to bug out. I have the makings of a couple of hoofing bug out bags (me and the missus), a lot of the stuff I use for other things though so I'd rather not have it sat in a bag doing nothing. With only a few hours notice (less at a push) I could put the BOB's together. I do have a 'get home bag' and I have the same issue with kit, not as much as a lot of the stuff I would put in a BOB as I'd want my best gear if I was running off into the wilds for a period of time. I don't have as much 'best' kit in my GHB.

The advice I always give to people joining is take your time and figure out what YOU are prepping for, and what will work best for YOU. Because some dude on youtube (or on here or wherever) has something doesn't mean it would fit for you. I hope you find this site useful, I've learned loads since joining.
Hookie1966

Post by Hookie1966 »

Thank you for the advice,much appreciated.
PrepperMum

Post by PrepperMum »

Welcome! I have recently joined myself. Your list of equipement looks very organised.
Hookie1966

Post by Hookie1966 »

Hi Preppermum

Thank you and I have had most of it for about 12 months but only recently put it all in one place 😆