Starting to think prepping might be a good idea...

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jm1973

Starting to think prepping might be a good idea...

Post by jm1973 »

Hi.

Recent reports about the state of the environment and climate change, have got me thinking that things could fall apart within my lifetime. I am starting to get concerned.

The whole prepper thing has always seemed a bit out there to me, but suddenly it seems like a good idea.

It all seems a bit daunting though. I'm not poor, but I've certainly not got loads of spare cash. I don't have lots of land or anything either.

Is being prepared really possible for normal people? Where to start?
Deeps

Re: Starting to think prepping might be a good idea...

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, it really depends on what you're prepping for.

I've not got a plot of land, I live in suburbia but I still do my best to 'prep', not that I see what I do as 'prepping' as such. If you know what it is you're looking to prepare for then just work towards it. It might not be what I'm prepping for but its a very broad term so do YOUR thing.

As for a starting point, there are basic requirements for living, water, food and shelter. What would you do if the taps were turned off ? What could you do to cope if they were ? You can hoard water, you can have purifying solutions. Sounds a bit out there ? Plenty of us do either or both, for how long you want to prepare is down to the individual. Same for food, if the shops were shut how would you feed yourselves ? Simple solution, have your own. Something to cook on is handy too, especially if you have to boil some of that water you need to drink too.....

Have a nose around the forum and ask questions. I get that its considered a bit weird, you don't need to tell anyone you're doing it, most of us don't. Like I say, do what works for you mate.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

As Deeps has pointed out its the basics you need to focus on at the start, lots of people get pulled into the "prepping sphere" thinking the worst is just around the corner.

Chances are you have a lot more time than you think, but the basics are always important ...... Food, Water, shelter.

depending on exactly what turned you on to prepping I really cant say much more until you elaborate on you original post. as for the state of the environment, it's better now than it was 30 years ago and the climate, well that changes all depends where you live lol.

(judge of climate is a 10 year average minimum.... weather is daily / yearly average)

The highest temperature ever recorded in the UK was 38.5C 10th August 2003 (been lower every year since)
The lowest temperature ever recorded in the UK was -27.2 10th January 1982 (and 11th Feb 1885)
The highest wind speed ever recorded was in 1986
and the most amount of sunshine ever recorded was July 1911

chart below shows the UK temperatures for the past 100 years ........ hasnt changed as much as they hype it up has it .
(couldnt find a more up to date one but the last two years would put the line way lower than the 2014 low)

Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, jm, hope you find we're not as out there as you thought we might be :mrgreen:

We all have our own opinions on lots of things, but the guys have nailed that, prepare for what you think is a risk. It doesn't have to be earth shattering, either. Like they say, the basics are food, water and shelter. Food - a drivers' strike can cause shortages, so can deep snow. Water? Accidental contamination like in Cornwall and Lancashire, even a simple broken water main. Shelter? Plenty of people have their shelter compromised when a storm takes off some roof tiles (happened to me a few years ago). Take care of the little things first, and build up to where you think you need to be.

HTH