Woodlands??

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
dreamdesigncreate

Re: Woodlands??

Post by dreamdesigncreate »

The biggest problem in the UK, is if there are walk ways theres very little you can do to stop people coming through. If the woodland is situated near roads the owner of said woodland is normally liable for the trees near the road - keeping them cut to a height of 17ft and dealing with fallen trees on roads or even hedges can be quite pricey. Tbh, if I had the income then yes I would buy woodland, even though the woodlands near me are about 40k per acre.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

WelshWiz, you could buy that solo and split it up, into however many parcels you'd like? Joint purchasing seems impossibly time-consuming. I suspect it would be paralysed by competing ideas.

And I agree with Deeps - if things were bad enough for you to take yourself off there and hide, other people would do it too, and then you'd have choices about how to react to that. But I can tell you really, really like the idea of bugging out when the apocalypse comes :)

Even for that kind of situation, I *do * think there's an argument to be made for what you're thinking of - you could put caches in and disguise them *really* well. Or hide them in plain sight, underneath the area you've set aside for camping :mrgreen: and if you own it now, you can control what's planted there - edibles that will naturalise, like jerusalem artichokes, hawthorn, blackberries, sloes, dandelions, elder trees. Depending on what the soil's like, you could plant gorse in a rough line that will double as a stock hedge - it's been used for that for a long time.

I like history, and i like writing apocafic, though the latter has stopped dead and been replaced just by *thinking* about it ...
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

This is all fantastic information thank you all. It’s a idea that certainly needs more thought and discussion. I’d love a wood to play in though. I suspect whipping up a 12ft fence would attract a fair bit of attention from the authorities lol 😂
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Barbed Fence.jpg
Barbed Fence.jpg (8.38 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Yeah we had a few complaints about our fencing not being "natural" enough. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Welshwiz11 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:03 pm This is all fantastic information thank you all. It’s a idea that certainly needs more thought and discussion. I’d love a wood to play in though. I suspect whipping up a 12ft fence would attract a fair bit of attention from the authorities lol 😂
Tell everybody
It's to keep the deer out it'll be fine ;)
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Nobody's mentioned looking at the mix of trees in any potential woodland which will have a bearing on just how that woodland is used. Ideally a mix of deciduous trees would be better than a plantation of conifers. A lot of "pine" forests are destined for pulping or else the trunks are taken for timber. Deciduous woodlands can be copised , harvests can be taken without chopping everything down and even foraging seems so much better in them Use the woodland to get a least some income rather than it just costing to keep it there. You could always run some sort of outward bound type of course there although of course should anything happen event wise there'd probably be plenty of people who "know just where to run to" :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Was talking to a guy at the weekend who has a 5 acre wood, he takes his family there for some 'quality time', me and my mate were both 'well jel'. Was asking him if he'd planted fruit trees etc, he was getting some and I mentioned a guerrilla garden but he didn't know what I was on about.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Deeps wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 am Was talking to a guy at the weekend who has a 5 acre wood, he takes his family there for some 'quality time', me and my mate were both 'well jel'. Was asking him if he'd planted fruit trees etc, he was getting some and I mentioned a guerrilla garden but he didn't know what I was on about.
Ok nobody has asked so I will. What's a guerilla garden??
jansman

Post by jansman »

Guerilla gardening is the act of planting( usually) food plants and fliwers in other people's spaces.That could be wasteland,road verges,abandoned gardens.I have ,myself,planted Jerusalem artichokes around my local area.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
piglet

Post by piglet »

Buying woodland is a lovely idea.
It's not cheap, and there are loads of regulations that apply.
But many people do it. Their own little piece of paradise to watch wildlife. In fact most people who do buy woodland are doing it with wildlife uppermost in their minds.

Now I grew up in the countryside. I have worked in farms and country estates. And I am a regular conservation volunteer.
So if you do decide to buy land in the country, be aware that it is unlikely that you will not be watched. When you are not there people will be investigating what you have been doing, and some of the less scrupulous will help themselves to anything they can.
Also vandalism is not restricted to towns.

It sounds nice having somewhere really remote but I have seen that quite often the bits of land really close to existing houses are most often left alone as you have people close by keeping an eye out for the community.
Unless of course they are nimby's, or you just plain per then off.

Saying that it is something I am considering for my retirement. But purely for leisure and wildlife. I am way too old to be roughing it now. Flushing toilets and running hot water are my kinda paradise.
ain't settlin'