New to prepping.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
dreamdesigncreate

New to prepping.

Post by dreamdesigncreate »

Hi, I'm 23 and trying to become self reilant. Whilst I like gadgets as much as the next person - I do believe that if you can't make it or maintain it with hand tools then it's probably not something to count on in the long run.

As far as I can tell a large part of prepping is being self reliant. One of my main questions is - are you all prepping for the end of life as we currently know it? Or are you just trying to be prepared for any situation that could disrupt the norm, be it your car breaking down in the middle of nowhere or a heavy snowstorm stopping you getting to the supermarkets?
Deeps

Re: New to prepping.

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, for myself, there's no 'end of days' on my planner, I'm more about keeping our lives going for the more mundane. I'm sure that would still come in handy if and when the zombies rise or the aliens invade or whatever.

Enjoy your prepping, there's no one 'right' way to do it, its what works for you and also to an extent, what you can be arsed with. We wouldn't be doing it if we hated it. There's loads of useful stuff on here though, have a nose around.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Everything has to start with the small things - "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step", and all that. Preparedness and self reliance (and I agree there's huge overlap) comes into that too - thats anything from having your own torches (a topic on a recent thread) or having your own goats on your own land.

I'm in between those two points :mrgreen: Welcome to the forum! Let us know where you'd put yourself on that continuum, and what your next steps are :)
dreamdesigncreate

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't really believe that the 'end' is coming but, just like we have car insurance; house inusrance etc why not have what I like to think as self insurance. I just like to know that if we had a bad winter or supplys were limited for whatever reason that myself and my family wouldn't need to worry.

I alos believe that if you can, why wouldn't you? Most people spend their life working so they can buy things. If you can make/grow them then why not cut out the middle man and start to rely on yourself. It's also a case of knowing where your food came from and how it was proccessed.

My first step is too build a couple of beehives in preperation for spring and to ready a planting area for sunflowers. That'll supply me with honey and oil. They're both also great gifts when you bottle them up nicely haha.

I guess, I want to be more self sufficect, prepared and ready for any scenario. But, I also don't want to live life waiting for the world to end. I'm not going to miss out on life waiting for something that may never happen. But being prepared seems sensible.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Bees! Yay! Are you in touch with the local beekeeping association? I was coming online to witter on about the mahonia bush in my back garden - today, even today, I lost count of the number of bees on it, its wonderful bee food :)
dreamdesigncreate

I am not currently in touch with them, the local one has roughly a hundred members and they run free classes so I think i'll attend a few of those over the winter period whilst I build a couple of hives ready for spring. I'm also hoping on planting quite a large area of sunflowers so I hope the bees will have plenty of flowers right next to them.