Hello from Northamptonshire.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Hello from Northamptonshire.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It was tongue in cheek watch a few news articles on prepping and they have us all down as knife wielding nutters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34637377

But with the current anti knife theme running in the media it pays to be whiter than white.... I recently was spoken to by a pcso who wanted to know what I was carrying (Dutch hoe) and why ... Was walking to the allotment.. and why it was sharp..... :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Those aren't preppers they are exactly what it says in the tin, knife wielding nut jobs.
They'd like to think they are prepping and indeed they are, a cold cell and a shower with a bar of soap that you borrowed from you cell mate. Not to say there is a right and wrong way to prep but really there kind of is, you'd prep for all kinds of events, and that doesn't just mean gear no no No, the most important part of prepping is planning. All the gear and no idea? Yeah.. also applies to prepping. It's just a shame some ruin it for the rest of us and, of course, the media love a good bit of shit stiring and love picking out the nut jobs from the rest. So it really doesn't surprise me that there are endless articles tarnishing preppers.

I've got 4 forks 4 spoons in my bags and one small knife, I'll let you ponder on what one people will instantly consitrate on the most. I have an air rifle I use for sport in the safest manner that I also keep in a locked safe bolted to my wall concealed in a wardrobe up In my loft to which only I have the key to, I don't have to take such a measure But, as soon as I mention I have one it's instant assumptions. It's silly it really is, but it's because of twats that glorify games and want to be like it, and of course.. the media.

I've been taught by an ex military that was highly decorated on what to expect if you don't expect anything and to not expect anything to be expected. As soon as I told my colleges I prep I was looked at like I have some sort of tin foil on my head preaching about the second coming. 😂

So, yeah.. I understand the frustration. I just hope that it can all be changed. The problem is as soon as the word prepper is whispered people come down with thoughts of apocalypse glorifying knife wielding tin foil hat wearing bear gryls gun slingers. Which as stated there is slot more to it, and it boils down to the simple things the most like a house fire or the boiler has packed up. 🤔

*edit* autocorrect.. keep forgetting to prep for that.
Last edited by Jäger on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be younger, but.. You're none the wiser.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome to the forum.So what do you prep for?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Hi jansman, too many things to write down to be fair.
I don't have one specific thing I prep for other wise, in reality, your not prepping just expecting.

What about yourself?
jansman

Post by jansman »

I dont expect anything to be fair.During my life I have experienced injury,illness,good times and hard times.My prepping is mainly for economic issues,power cuts,redundancy ( been there a time or two).I grow food and rear meat.

At my age,I don't worry about stuff I cannot control.I concentrate on stuff I can control.

Anyhow,give us more details. :D And get out of the introduction section and onto the forum .Its a friendly place.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jäger wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:44 pm Those aren't preppers they are exactly what it says in the tin, knife wielding nut jobs.
They'd like to think they are prepping and indeed they are, a cold cell and a shower with a bar of soap that you borrowed from you cell mate. Not to say there is a right and wrong way to prep but really there kind of is, you'd prep for all kinds of events, and that doesn't just mean gear no no No, the most important part of prepping is planning. All the gear and no idea? Yeah.. also applies to prepping. It's just a shame some ruin it for the rest of us and, of course, the media love a good bit of shit stiring and love picking out the nut jobs from the rest. So it really doesn't surprise me that there are endless articles tarnishing preppers.

I've got 4 forks 4 spoons in my bags and one small knife, I'll let you ponder on what one people will instantly consitrate on the most. I have an air rifle I use for sport in the safest manner that I also keep in a locked safe bolted to my wall concealed in a wardrobe up In my loft to which only I have the key to, I don't have to take such a measure But, as soon as I mention I have one it's instant assumptions. It's silly it really is, but it's because of twats that glorify games and want to be like it, and of course.. the media.

I've been taught by an ex military that was highly decorated on what to expect if you don't expect anything and to not expect anything to be expected. As soon as I told my colleges I prep I was looked at like I have some sort of tin foil on my head preaching about the second coming. 😂

So, yeah.. I understand the frustration. I just hope that it can all be changed. The problem is as soon as the word prepper is whispered people come down with thoughts of apocalypse glorifying knife wielding tin foil hat wearing bear gryls gun slingers. Which as stated there is slot more to it, and it boils down to the simple things the most like a house fire or the boiler has packed up. 🤔

*edit* autocorrect.. keep forgetting to prep for that.
Glad you've provided the text book definition of a prepper, that's helpful.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with what is or isn't a prepper, just do your thing and don't worry about what others are doing, its not a competition.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Deeps wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:52 pm

I wouldn't get too bogged down with what is or isn't a prepper, just do your thing and don't worry about what others are doing, its not a competition.
[/quote]

Yeah, not a problem..

I don't worry, really.. and of course it's not but it's my own opinion not bothered if snow flakes don't like it. ;)

Nice one jansman, pretty good things to prep for. 👌🏼
What meats do you rear? Are they your own animals? If your a farmer then you're a lucky man, farmers have a hard working life but the best life style in my eyes, speaking from experience.

I will pal don't worry I'm just testing the water and enjoying the chat with mods/admins.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jäger wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:07 pm
Deeps wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Yeah, not a problem..

I don't worry, really.. and of course it's not but it's my own opinion not bothered if snow flakes don't like it. ;)

Nice one jansman, pretty good things to prep for. 👌🏼
What meats do you rear? Are they your own animals? If your a farmer then you're a lucky man, farmers have a hard working life but the best life style in my eyes, speaking from experience.

I will pal don't worry I'm just testing the water and enjoying the chat with mods/admins.
[/quote]

"Snow flakes" ???
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Yes, the definition is in the words themselves. The conext i used it in however requires a diffrent answer.
Snow flake: Someone who cannot cope with the opnion of another person. If the surroundings are not to their needs they can't cope.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jäger wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:33 pm Yes, the definition is in the words themselves. The conext i used it in however requires a diffrent answer.
Snow flake: Someone who cannot cope with the opnion of another person. If the surroundings are not to their needs they can't cope.
So in this context, the snow flakes are..... ??