Just joined

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Ara

Just joined

Post by Ara »

Hi all. New to forum but not new to prepping although l never called it that. l just thought it sensible to keep an emergency bag packed in case of needing to leave home in a hurry or keeping supplies in my car for winter emergencies. ("mum, why do you have a sleeping bag in your car?") What am l prepping for? Well, unexpected guests (have you ever visited someone who told you where you could go to get food?), being snowed in, the 'flu etc etc. l also like to think that l would stand a better than average chance of surviving if everything went belly up.Llooking forward to seeing new ideas and learning new things.
Arzosah

Re: Just joined

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum :) there's an awful lot that can be done on the practical levels that you're mentioning, there should be lots here for you to take on board and to contribute to - sounds like you're well down the path :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find the site useful. As Arzorsah has said, it sounds like you know what YOU are prepping for, that's got to be a good thing. I only found out what a prepper was about 4 years ago and realised I ticked a lot of the boxes so started doing research (a lot of it on here) and got a lot of inspiration and direction, I was a bit haphazard before, mainly probably because I didn't have a framework to hang my slightly mad need to hoard stuff. :lol: All systems go on my craziness now that I've got 'an excuse'. ;)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Thanks all. Like Deeps, I now have an excuse for hoarding stuff! OH wouldn't call himself a prepper but likes the idea of self sufficiency but so far all we've ever been self sufficient in is jam. (Redcurrant, blackcurrant, blackberry but even then the sugar comes from the shop). My mum's comment: "You won't starve in this house"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Ara wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:17 pm Thanks all. Like Deeps, I now have an excuse for hoarding stuff! OH wouldn't call himself a prepper but likes the idea of self sufficiency but so far all we've ever been self sufficient in is jam. (Redcurrant, blackcurrant, blackberry but even then the sugar comes from the shop). My mum's comment: "You won't starve in this house"
I don't consider myself a prepper really either, its just a 'catch all' title that we can all relate to. I like the idea of self sufficiency but as you point out, how far do you want to take it ? If you're OH likes the idea of it then you're already ahead of a lot of us, my missus has got better about it but is still a work in progress. She does some stuff that is very useful though, she just doesn't want to buy into the 'whole package', its better than nothing, she's sat knitting as I type, she also has an allotment and she preserves some of the stuff she grows. I've also got stuff for her in the back of her car and she also spotted a fungus identification course next month that I've booked for the pair of us. She's not a prepper either. ;)

Take what you want from it all, I don't have a 'bug out bag' but I could make a couple for us in the unlikely event we needed them. Just do what works for you guys and don't get bogged down with pigeon holing it all.Good luck.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Thanks. I'll just continue our journey to self sufficiency. I need to learn more ways of preserving food than freezing or jam making so I see there are places to look here. I should say that we are also "self suffficient" in water with a borehole and a spring on our land (which ran dry this summer!) along with a couple of IBCs collecting rainwater (they also ran dry this summer) but the borehole didn't.
jansman

Post by jansman »

As already stated,its what works for you.I am not a fan of the term ' Prepper', but that's me.I consider myself simply to be self - reliant.We have a large garden and greenhouses,rabbits and fowls,we preserve food,save seeds and heat with ( mainly) free fuel.Self sufficiency is not a bad avenue to travel within the prepping movement.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Machr

Post by Machr »

Hi and welcome!

Im also new to the site and can relate to going more along the lines of self sufficiency rather than prepper. We had our first try at growing some veg this year which turned out a success! Aiming to build on that and get organised for a bigger crop next year.
Hope the site brings some use to us both, i imagine it will as I've been scanning through the forums and theres some useful knowledge going around.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Yes, I tend to think of preppers as American doomsday or zombie apocalypse types which I am certainly not. I like the self sufficient/reliant standpoint instead.