New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
fez

Post by fez »

Hi I'm Fez and somewhat new to prepping.
I live in East Yorkshire, hoping to get plenty of tips, which does not look too hard having seen some of the stuff already :)
Looking forward to gaining some useful knowledge and tips, especially on packing only the essentials for different bug out bags..seems too easy to fill them with all sorts of things which might come in handy !! and increasing the weight...

Cheers for now
Fez
Deeps

Re: Newbie

Post by Deeps »

Welcome Fez, what sort of stuff are you prepping for ??? Not everything requires a bug out bag. Have a nose about the forum and see what catches your eye.
fez

Post by fez »

Need a bag to take to hospital (hopefully not) so cash, wash kit, phone charger etc. Bag for the car with winter coming again, snow drifts,,, so warm clothes, head torch, boots, shovel, snow socks, salt etc...thankfully I have a small car so can't put too much in it :) A Bergen in case things go sour and I need to go into the woods for a week, packed for current season..!
List for each is probably a good idea to start with :D then scale them down a bit!
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

ok so travelling to a hospital in winter (for work maybe or some other reason I cant tell from your post) either way have you prepped for getting stuck ..... traffic jam, out of fuel, engine trouble ...... do you get your car serviced regularly, do you have any water in the car, food or a camping stove etc ...... trust me it comes in handy. last year I was stuck in traffic on the motorway for 4 hours with-15C outside and running low on fuel and I still managed to make myself a brew and had plenty to eat even if i was there for a few days,

normally my car bag will cover three days, but my winter car bag is good enough for 3 people for three days ...... when things go wrong in winter you're never alone ( whether your in the car with someone or not you will meet someone who needs it more than you do)

my missus works in a hospital here in Scotland, I put a bag in her car every year, last winter was the first time she actually looked in the bag and she was very happy with what she found when she needed it.

(on a side note if your putting a bag in another persons car make sure you tailor it to their knowledge/ abilities....... no point in me putting some kindling and a ferro rod in there lol)

wifes bag had the following: (keep in mind she already has a breakdown bag in the wheel well so no need for the usual breakdown garb ... shovel, ice scraper, Tyre inflator etc as thats all in there) and also her bag is for staying in situ, she works within a 3-5 hour hike from the house (weather and season dependent) and my regular work place is right in the middle, so if she broke down near home she could walk it but if she got stuck a hour or more from home I'm only 30 mins to an hour away.

first aid kit
4L water
a few sachets of soup and hot chocolate
a highlander fast boil Mk2 with a 300ml canister
thermal top + bottoms
hiking socks
thermal hat, gloves and scarf
3day emergency ration pack
wind up radio (with light)
another LED flashlight with spare batteries
3 x 12hour glow sticks
one 3 season sleeping bag and a bivy bag (should be more than adequate in a car in winter)
Gel heat packs x 6
Mora companion ... just in case she needs to cut a bandage lol
a few chocolate bars ( to be honest they were the first to go and since she knows they're there now I doubt they will last long)
and last if not least a book (of my choice lol)
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Looks a good list X, maybe put a power bank in so she can still read Mail Online on her phone. ;)
fez

Post by fez »

Thanks Guy's, always nice to know the brands of kit people are using :) can save a lot of time reading reviews :)