New member - nottinghamshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Med85

New member - nottinghamshire

Post by Med85 »

Hi there
Im craig and new to the site.
Im new to prepping although have had thoughts and reservations for some time. I have basic supplies of water stores and food to last maybe a month.

I suppose im prepping for a couple of things really. the most likely scenarios in my mind are an economic collapse in todays unstable world economic climate with Brexit, trump, terrorism etc, but not only that, with advances in technology and replacing jobs with tech I fail to see how this wouldn't increase unemployment and bring on a collapse?
The other scenario in healthcare I read a lot of health related summaries and through my job the DOH yearly threat review highlight that a pandemic is the biggest impacting threat to the UK medical service. putting it above terrorism, climate issues, volcanic scenarios etc.

Its an interesting read (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _Final.pdf) and is updated yearly with new information and world events affecting the 'likelihood' of event 'x' happening within the next 5 years.

As such I am also prepping for a pandemic.

A few obstacles I have come up against is the fact that my wife thinks its a rediculous idea so i tend to have an agreement of, shes aware im prepping but doesnt get involved. (I wonder if that would still be the case if SHTF?)

The other is, im kind of on the fence as to whether survivability is better in numbers or doing it alone. In a pandemic Id deffinatly say isolation is key to reduce the likelyhood of spreading disease, however in an economic collapse I would think strength in numbers to rebuild a working community for food growth, support, security etc.
what is everyone elses thought?
Are there many preppers around the nottinghamshire area?

Anyway its nice to hear from you all, so thanks in advance.

Happy prepping
Deeps

Re: New member - nottinghamshire

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, you're not the only one with another half who isn't fully into the prepping, all I can suggest is have things that she finds useful so she can see the benefits. Its what I've done with mine, she's still not fully onboard but she gets it more now. Good luck with it.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Welcome to the forum. That document has some interesting risk levels in it, some higher than I thought they'd be perceived here in the UK actually so interesting to see the "official" line.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum :) yep, the National Risk Register makes interesting reading, doesn't it!

Also about the better in numbers vs doing it alone - a long term, steep economic decline would need a community to cope well, but a pandemic ... yeah, isolation. Having contact with others, if you can't absolutely trust who *they're* in contact with, is asking for trouble.

Your OH will see that the ways you prep can be useful - having "lost credit card" numbers on your phone, backing up the computer, good water available when your water main breaks, batteries for torches in a power cut along with easy cook food. Hope you find things that are useful on here.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

hey welcome to the site hope you find the info useful (lol I said that like it's mine ha ha .... no really I found lots of stuff here when I joined that I hadn't even considered, take your time read it all)

I see your prepping for a few of the same things I am except brexit and Trump ..... I'm not British but i live in Scotland and to be honest I don't see any real negative impact of Brexit right now (i'm open to changing my perspective in the future but I dont think i'll have to) and trump is just not even on the radar ( a guy who was a democrat for 40 years who joined the presidential race under the conservative banner because the dems wanted Hillary .... and now suddenly were supposed to believe he's a nazi) I dont even care, every US president reads from the same playbook.

the good thing about this site is you'll find political perspectives from both sides (without knowing for sure where people stand)..... and were not supposed to get political ( read between the lines lol) everyone here is good in my book, I really dont care about politics but it sometimes winds me up lol.

A pandemic is a real possibility and the most likely thing to destabilize modern economies apart from and economic collapse which is well overdue since they kicked the can down the road in 2008 ....... the next few years will be interesting, how are you prepping for it ?

my OH thought I was a bit nuts until last winter when public transport shut down for a week and the shops were empty ........ she wasnt laughing when we had more than enough food (even enough to give to elderly neighbors)

the one thing I'd have to say about being a prepper is that you only have to be right once, where as everyone that thinks your nuts has to be right every day.
Last edited by xplosiv1 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Xplosiv1 wrote:

the good thing about this site is you'll find political perspectives from both sides (without knowing for sure where people stand)..... and were not supposed to get political ( read between the lines lol) everyone here is good in book I really dont care about politics but it sometimes winds me up

I really can’t tell it winds you up! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:24 am Xplosiv1 wrote:

the good thing about this site is you'll find political perspectives from both sides (without knowing for sure where people stand)..... and were not supposed to get political ( read between the lines lol) everyone here is good in book I really dont care about politics but it sometimes winds me up

I really can’t tell it winds you up! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I like a sense of humour!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Med85

Post by Med85 »

Thanks for all the support guys. ill take it on board.

Im not going into the whole political debate. Everyone has an opinion and a vote and im open minded. I simply meant that political shifts can destabilise the economy and theres been a few big ones lately and probably more on the horizon :?

I think the best advice to prepare for an economomic collapse would be :-
1) Probably the most important part. Get out of debt!
2) prep for food and water storage and learn to grow and cultervate my own food
3) have high valued items and skills to trade and help the community. (such as my medical skills, survival skills, alcohol and cigs will probably be very high value, flavours, herbs, spices, meds, toilet rolls etc)

my concern is security. Id love to think that society would dig in and work together to survive but experiance and history suggests that my stores and prepping may just make me a target for looters.

With this in mind bugging out or alternative stores may be an idea..... but where do you stop!?

for now I'll start small. work on points 1/2/3 and go from there...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

You do what you can, I doubt there are many if any on here who will think their own prepping is 'complete', there's always something else that pops up. Whether its a new toy or whatever, its partly why I see a hobby element to prepping, we wouldn't do it if we hated it. If you have an idea of why and what you're prepping for, it gives you something to work towards, before I discovered what a prepper was and that it was an actual 'thing' I was quite haphazard about it, I learned a lot from this site and was able to articulate (even just to myself) what I was trying to do.