New member - nottinghamshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jansman

Re: New member - nottinghamshire

Post by jansman »

Yes, just what Deeps said. Equipment-wise, you need very little really. If you are going to thrive during a powercut for example,a torch and batteries, battery radio and a way to keep warm and make a brew is about it. If you find it is a bit longer term, and you have to cook on a fire in the yard, you don’t need an Über Titanium pan,
you have pans in the kitchen! You get the idea. It is more about mindset than kit a lot of the time.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Hello and welcome , prepping for an economic downturn is a common theme and many of us on here feel that such a thing is more than likely if not inevitable . Personally I'm of the long slow crash train of thought where things get worse in the long term albeit with periods where it looks like the economy is recovering but generally downturns or depressions get more common , last longer and are progressively deeper.
On the subject of technology displacing people I'm now less concerned than I once was. Growing up in the '70's I can remember programmes like "Tommorow's World" that spoke of a future where most work would be carried out by robots and humans would find themselves not working but just having increased leisure time. In hindsight the flaw in that is that economies need consumers to buy stuff as robots certainly don't and that means new jobs are created , old skills replaced with new to keep people working and thus consuming. We are probably working more now than we were in the seventies although that's down to an erosion of the value of our incomes which opens up a whole kettle of fish.
Pandemics , always a consideration and in general I'd agree that isolation is probably best although again that is a balancing act. Go too far "off grid" , too far removed and one could easily find that you are overlooked when it comes to treatments and vaccines . As it is pandemics are more likely to start in places of deprivation , with poor health services and poor sanitation which is generally going to mean places like Africa rather than the Home Counties .
peejay

Post by peejay »

On the subject of bugging in, an interesting film to watch was "Right at your door" (2006) "A dirty bomb goes off in Los Angeles, jamming freeways and spreading a toxic cloud."

Had quite an interesting ending if I've got the right film :)