I’m new...and random question you may want the answer to as well

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Thamesfan

I’m new...and random question you may want the answer to as well

Post by Thamesfan »

Hi there,

I’m new here. Just getting started with my prepper preparation and education. Based in and outside London.

Very random question but has anybody come across an easy way to download a large ebook library onto a flash drive or memory card that would run on a Raspberry Pi? Imagine a SHTF scenario, no internet. Would be nice to have a library stored locally. That’s what I’m after, but don’t have the time to build this myself. Happy to chip in if anybody’s interested in doing the work!

Best regards,
Deeps

Re: I’m new...and random question you may want the answer to as well

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, what sort of stuff are you prepping for ?
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

hey welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful. what kind of stuff are you prepping for.

regarding the question, I don't have an ebook library myself and I dont plan to either so cant really help you but there are free apps already in the google play store that would run on it, check out "survival manual" or "army survival handbook" there are many more take a look, lots of good info in them ..... well i suppose it really depends what your prepping for exactly but they cover the basics at least.

personally I'd prefer to have hard copy info for SHTF .... nothing beats a good book
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum - I download pdfs of things when I can. Humanure, for instance, or Where There Is No Doctor. I'll buy kindle books too - sometimes on offer, like the SAS Survival Guide, others not. I'll also research topics and make my own pdf documents. The pdfs can be stored on laptops, kindles or flash/backup drives, of course.

A Raspberry Pi sounds like a good choice, pretty rugged. It might be the first choice for electronic info., but anything electronic isn't the primary option, primary is actual books, hard copy. A friend recently sent me her copy of an old book on dehydrating, for instance. I have the original version of the SAS Survival Guide. First aid, yes, a couple of those. Marine foraging, from the River Cottage stable. I'm pretty selective, because space in my house is valuable, but some things are worth storing.

Deeps' question still stands though - what are you prepping for?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome.I guess by your question that you are a youngster - compared to me! :lol: How about storing a bit of grub and a torch for starters?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:09 pm Welcome to the forum - I download pdfs of things when I can. Humanure, for instance, or Where There Is No Doctor. I'll buy kindle books too - sometimes on offer, like the SAS Survival Guide, others not. I'll also research topics and make my own pdf documents. The pdfs can be stored on laptops, kindles or flash/backup drives, of course.

A Raspberry Pi sounds like a good choice, pretty rugged. It might be the first choice for electronic info., but anything electronic isn't the primary option, primary is actual books, hard copy. A friend recently sent me her copy of an old book on dehydrating, for instance. I have the original version of the SAS Survival Guide. First aid, yes, a couple of those. Marine foraging, from the River Cottage stable. I'm pretty selective, because space in my house is valuable, but some things are worth storing.

Deeps' question still stands though - what are you prepping for?
Like yourself, if I see a pdf that I like I save it to my laptop. I've built up quite a library over the years, I back up the files to a geek stick from time to time (probably overdue actually :oops: ) but also like to keep proper hard copies of some stuff. Some of it is opportune, like finding something cheap that appeals or or a recommendation basis, buying online is so easy now, aye, it costs you a few quid but money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure a few resources have been posted on here that I've copied stuff from so to the OP, have a rummage mate.
Thamesfan

Post by Thamesfan »

Thanks a lot for all the quick responses!

Prepping for 1 month + electric grid shutdown or pandemic.

I have survival manuals but looking also for a collection of 1000+ general ebooks for leisure reading, and I’d like to get a copy of Wikipedia. That way I’d have a rich volume of general knowledge / literature to answer questions and keep me entertained.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

You could have the worlds collective knowledge at your disposal, you'll still have to deal with the mundane. I've no idea how far along the prepper 'voyage' you are but I'd start with the things you can deal with before worrying about all the other stuff. Have you got the months food or are you working towards it ? What about other essentials like water, meds etc, where are you at with this sort of stuff. Its hard to offer advice unless if we don't know where you're at.
Thamesfan

Post by Thamesfan »

Yes you’re right of course. I’ve got a 500 litre water tank (https://www.kingfisherdirect.co.uk/500- ... water-tank). It’s filled, but I have never tested water quality. I probably need to be chlorinating it regularly...that’s on my to do list. Any advice would be welcome.

I’ve got 300,000 calories of food stored in Mylar bags inside plastic tubs. Lentils and rice mostly, some spices and a huge tub of coconut oil. I’m not sure how I’d cook the food just yet. But basic plan is I have a wood burning stove and a ton of firewood, with trees of course to replenish.

I also have a bunch of tools, cleaning supplies, water purification tablets, etc.

One potential fatal flaw in my plan is that my house is on the Thames, so in a SHTF scenario not if the river would flood and regardless the property would be vulnerable by boat.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

You've certainly been busy. :lol:

At least you're not going to run dry anytime soon with 500 lItres, I wouldn't get too bogged down with water quality, do your own research but I've found if you put good water in, you get good water out. Do you have any kind of water filters ??? Again, something to research, plenty options out there if you don't.

You've obviously spent time, money and effort to prep, the only thing I can suggest is ask yourself if what you've done works for YOU. Prepping is a broad subject and not all aspects will appeal or work for all of us. As for cooking, there are loads of camping/walking fuel options as well as firewood. It will depend on what you're looking to do. If you live on the Thames then I guess you'll have neighbours who will smell cooking, something else to consider if you plan on cooking either in the house or back garden even after a minor issue.

However you prep, make sure its for you and yours, not folk on youtube or forums. Are you vegetarian ? If you're not, the change in diet to a rice/lentil diet will necessitate a healthy stash of bog roll and that's not including the shit inducing that will come with the stress of dealing with whatever forces you to break out the 'zombie stores'. Not trying to be negative, sorry, its hard to pick up stuff on line sometimes but figure out your own thing, and enjoy it.