Another new member in scotland

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Nurseandy

Another new member in scotland

Post by Nurseandy »

Hi all, live in rural north Scotland, not expecting the end of the world but intetested in just being ready for different eventualities. Eg. always travel with sensible preps in the car (stove, couple cans food, sleeping bag, water, shovel, torch, paracord, knife) and likewise keep several months supply of heating/cooking fuel at home, private water supply but woefully little food. Keep trying to increase the food reserves but growing family keeps eating it ;)
jansman

Re: Another new member in scotland

Post by jansman »

Welcome. Sounds like you are already ahead of the pack. Have a look around and get some ideas before you spend money.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Thanks, try and avoid spending any money at all if possible! ;) ;) ;)
But when you look at food for five people for even as short as a week its pretty intimidating! Gently gently catches monkey though I suppose.
jansman

Post by jansman »

You just need to start by buying a little extra each time you shop.You will see a lot of ' food storage' lists,a lot American.Buy what YOUR family eats.It will soon mount up,but make sure you rotate it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, Jansman has pretty much covered it but if you're looking at increasing your food preps, the old mantra of "store what you eat, eat what you store" covers it. As he's said, each shop, just buy that little extra and stick it away somewhere, Mind things like condiments, herbs, oil etc too.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum - food storage is important, absolutely, and since you have a private water supply (which is very impressive!) dried foods might be the way to go? Good compact storage as well.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

D'oh! dried food, of course :roll: been stuck in a "how many tins of chilli would we need" mindset. And we don't particularly eat tinned food,more freshly prepared food which wouldnt necessarily be feasible if fuel/snow/food shortage scenarios unfolded. However we'll happily eat rice, dried pulses etc and supplement it with tinned meat.
Thanks everyone.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I had to evolve my eating slightly to 'justify' storing more tins, we still eat mostly fresh and homemade but every now and then I'll have a 'bad' lunch of a tin of chilli and diced and shallow fried tatties or something similar for that 'justification'. If your other half is onboard its easier right enough.

Have a look at the dehydrating threads on here for dried inspiration, quite a few of us dehydrate either components or whole meals, that way you can make them to your own taste.