Hello from Scotland.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Kiwififer

Hello from Scotland.

Post by Kiwififer »

Hi folks, newbie in Edinburgh here.

Haven't really thought about a 'what if?' scenario until a few years back, I'm unsure if I would call myself a prepper, at least, not yet but I'm certainly dipping my toes into it especially in today's current climate. I certainly haven't told the missus about my plans but I'm beginning to get stuff on the sly.... I've been camping a lot as a nipper, done a bit of hillwalking etc, the wife hasn't and would look for a socket for her hairdryer :lol:

So far, I've gathered a chimenea plus cooking utensils (I like to think it's a stealth warmth and cooking utensil), solar panelled wind up radio, flints, water carrying bottles and I've just bought a Robens Fairbank tipi which the guy in the shop is a 3/4 season one (I've other camping stuff from beer festivals etc, too much to quote).

What I wouldn't mind is a bit of advice around a small camping axe. I've seen a brush axe, its a Fiskars one so it's quite lightweight but it's more like a machete. Any advice? It would mainly be for small branches, kindling etc....

Cheers!
Deeps

Re: Hello from Scotland.

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum mate, I hope you find the place useful. I can't really help on the axe front, I just use cheap and cheerful ones, Aldi providing my current hatchets. :D

Take the whole 'prepping thing' at your own pace, I wouldn't get bogged down with the terminology, I don't think of myself as a prepper either although I tick a lot of the boxes. Wouldn't be seen dead in a paracord bracelet though. :lol:
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Hadn’t thought of Aldi, I was actually in Lidl getting their sour jelly beans about an hour ago so will have a look!

Yeah, I’m not getting hung up on terminology, I certainly have started to think about ‘right what do I need?’ stuff though. I’m taking Maslow’s basic needs of food, shelter and warmth as a starting position and taking it from there.

I also have a forewarned plan (my folks live down under and I have friends in NZ) and a GOOD plan as well. For someone who doesn’t call himself a prepper, on reflection, I certainly have a lot of stuff ‘in place’. ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Aldi and Lidl don't have them year round, its one of the joys going down those 'middle aisles' and finding stuff like axes that make a trip to Aldi fun.

Good idea to start with the basics, water, food (and something to cook it with), basic meds, lighting are all easily and fairly cheaply sourced.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Indeed. We all try not to mention the ‘B’ word but there’s no getting away from it so I’m going to start chucking a couple of packets of super noodles in with the shopping each week as well as essential medicines such as paracetamol.

I haven’t done it in years but I reckon I could still gut a fish. I started growing my own vegetables this year, luckily I paid attention to my grandad who had his whole back garden dedicated to food so provided I’m growing good old Scottish native stuff like peas and carrots, I should be okay.

I am going to dip in and out of the forum for advice as I need it, a bit like how others do I suppose. Cheers for having me!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Hello to yourself as well!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Gotta ask as someone who has lived in both Fife and New Zealand, where in NZ ?
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Which one?

2 years in the Tron, 2 years in Aucks. Folks were in Papamoa Beach but sold up and they are traveling the world on what is best described as a ‘gap decade hippy trail’ before officially retiring later this year.

I’ve lived in a fair few places in Fife and just outside. Not really wishing to say more mainly in case someone knows me on here. Yourself?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Lived in Napier as a kid then over to sunny Fife. Mostly Edinburgh based from 18 to early 30's then back across the bridge to the Dunfs end of the Costa del Fife. Loved Embra as a young man but prefer the more laid back and less densely populated approach now. Still get across to catch up with mates for the odd night out.