Another member joins your ranks!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
OperationPrep

Another member joins your ranks!

Post by OperationPrep »

Hello all! Came across this forum earlier today whilst I was exploring different online shops, forums, and blogs about survivalism. Although I have been long aware of prepping, I have only recently started to section any thirst to develop skills recently, spurned on by a survival bracelet present I was given for my birthday a week ago.

A little bit with myself:

My name is Lewis, and I am a 24 year old male living in central London with my girlfriend of two and a half years. Have always had a great interest in post-apocalyptia in anything from games to films and tv shows. I never really actionsd any of this while growing up, however. I have spent about 12 years doing Judo, of which I recently stopped to focus on other things, including this now!

I see prepping as a way of gaining the knowledge I would likely go without if I only follow my current lifestyle. Being physically fit is very important to me and using prepping as my ‘big why’ makes a lot of sense to me.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything from tips to blog posts I would be very greatly. Particularly on living in a tiny flat share in a major city where you do not have any space for storing rations. (Thinking that gaining knowledge and learning new skills will be more of a focus for the coming months, rather than just purchasing a lot of kit I am not competent in using.

Thanks all, and I look forward to joining the community!
Deeps

Re: Another member joins your ranks!

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, have a look round, you're not the only one living in a wee flat, plenty of advice and I hope you find plenty info to get you started.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

hey welcome.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

Thanks all!

Just currently reading up on EDCs and deciding what is best for my current situation, where I work etc.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

You may be able to store some tins under the bed at a push.
A bioethanol fireplace (cheap sort) can be useful in a power cut in case the heating goes in the colder months.
Tea light candles are cheap solution for the short term lighting and there's tonnes of cheap lanterns and torches available.

Enjoy your journey and welcome
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

nickdutch wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 pm You may be able to store some tins under the bed at a push.
A bioethanol fireplace (cheap sort) can be useful in a power cut in case the heating goes in the colder months.
Tea light candles are cheap solution for the short term lighting and there's tonnes of cheap lanterns and torches available.

Enjoy your journey and welcome
tea lights can be used for a room heater too.

Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum - you're dead right that skills and fitness go a long way. Surprising skills too - skill in making knots, for instance, can be used for all sorts of things: repairing a fishing net, tying a hammock, storing something out of the way, many things. The skills to use your EDC are important too - what are you thinking of carrying?
OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:24 pm The skills to use your EDC are important too - what are you thinking of carrying?
A couple different multi tools, some basic firestarting equipment, a survival blanket, currently working on making a FAK for this too. My Instagram I just made yesterday will be documenting these things - operationprepuk
unsure

Post by unsure »

hello and welcome .
nickdutch wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 pm You may be able to store some tins under the bed at push
don`t forget behind the base boards in the kitchen and non food stuffs under the bath .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .