Hi - I'm making a film - permission to post?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Mortblanc

Re: Hi - I'm making a film - permission to post?

Post by Mortblanc »

How much are you paying?

You don't make films for free, do you expect to get your resources and harvest our labor for free?
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Mortblanc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 pm How much are you paying?

You don't make films for free, do you expect to get your resources and harvest our labor for free?
Therein lays part of the misrepresentation problem, those who leap at the media are more likely ( not all by any means) to be a little extrovert and eccentric, but it only takes a couple in a show or article and Joe Public automatically pigeon holes us all with them, I think there may be a slow acceptance of preparedness in the last few years, but the long shot scenarios still cause reactions, a friend of mine saw doomsday preppers I believe on netflix for the first time recently and he thought they were all barking mad.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

So what's in your proposed bug out bag?...

Throw it out your bedroom window at 3am and stand in your nightwear along with your family on the front garden ...

Now you have just escaped from a virtual house fire...... What in your Bob is going to help you now?

Insurance company phone number and policy details

List of local hotels

Clothes

A folding cross bow, machette and a bivvy bag isn't going to be much use!

Or same but your bollocks deep in flood water ...
Chuck your Bob in the bath ....what gets wet?

Now you have a 50kg wet bag walk 2 miles with it and open it up in the lounge and pretend you're in the local sports hall which has been opened in a refuge capability....

If you have kids what is in there to entertain them?

What's in your car?

Do you have breakdown cover?

Your in a car crash your car has flipped over its pissing fuel all over your hanging in your seatbelt and it won't release and the door won't open... Now what?

Most of us on here prepare for the "boring" day to day incidents that happen to people like me / you / us on a daily basis not the whole Armageddon / worlds end, Simon Pegg has already covered that ;)

Oh and when did you last hoover your smoke alarm and test it / replace the battery?

Fun thing to try....

Go to the fuse box on a winter's night/ evening and turn the main switch off for 4 hours .. how do you get on......

Get a normal person and a prepper to do the same and compare who fares better... Many preppers won't be reaching for the Yankee candles due to the fire risk.......

And with the demise recently of toysrus , Maplin, closure of house of Frazer stores poundworld going to the wall... If Aunty suddenly pulled the plug and kicked you out the door do you have an cushion to sustain you till you find another job?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Hi Adam. One major consideration is that preppers find it important to preserve a degree of anonymity. This is for entirely sensible reasons, but to the general public it may add a sense of 'wackiness' to the subject. Can I humbly suggest that the film takes this into account, and that at least a few minutes is spent explaining why we keep a low profile?
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses. Apologies for the delay in mine, I've just come off exercise with the Army Reserve (my own prepper path, if you like) and so I've been off the net for a few days.

I'm going to write that other post on this forum in a sec, but just wanted to thank you for your responses on here. Yorkshire Andy - those are some really interesting questions that give me plenty to think about - thank you! Certainly, since I joined the Army Reserve 4/5 years ago, I've learned a lot of things that seem quite simple now, but I'd have definitely messed up prior to learning. Things like the importance of keeping kit dry, having an escape plan, having a torch to hand. Love the idea of switching off the power for four hours with a prepper and an average joe.

One thing I just want to address here is the money. There is no money because it's BBC News. This isn't a commercial enterprise and whether you contribute or not, whether this film gets made or not, I'll be paid on the 15th of the month. So I'm not getting anything out of this but the satisfaction of cutting through the chaff and working on a subject that interests me. It's an arse - it really is. I wish I had a pot of cash to spend on some of the legends I get to work with, like this guy who drew shagging dogs on a biscuit tin: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... s-revealed.

Thanks again.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I suspect it's actually an interesting conundrum.

I'll go out on a limb & suggest that any "serious" prepper would never discuss such things in public, other than with (known/trusted) like-minded individuals so I think a request like this would automatically filter any potential serious respondents leaving only those extrovert "look at me, you're all sh!t" type folks which takes you right back to the nutter territory?
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

I'm hoping for something with less nuts in :)

I've put in a request today for an interview with the Minister for Government Resilience and Efficiency to get their thoughts on what the minimum state of preparedness should be for the average individual. I'll be highlighting some of the most likely risks in this film (e.g. flooding, snow etc) and one less likely (i.e. industrial accident / pandemic).

In terms of preppers I hope to include someone who is experienced and considers themselves well prepared and someone who is new to it. I'd like to get an insight and some advice from these people.

The end of the film will direct viewers to their Community Risk Register.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

AdamBBC wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm I'm hoping for something with less nuts in :)

I've put in a request today for an interview with the Minister for Government Resilience and Efficiency to get their thoughts on what the minimum state of preparedness should be for the average individual. I'll be highlighting some of the most likely risks in this film (e.g. flooding, snow etc) and one less likely (i.e. industrial accident / pandemic).

In terms of preppers I hope to include someone who is experienced and considers themselves well prepared and someone who is new to it. I'd like to get an insight and some advice from these people.

The end of the film will direct viewers to their Community Risk Register.

happens fairly often in one way or another:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-44515400

our area is covered by this

http://www.goinstayintunein.org/

and can you remember this being shoved through your door then forgotten about?

https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departm ... nment).pdf

even the goverment seem to have axed the website listed in the book

http://www.preparingforemergencies.gov.uk/

however the satire site still works: :roll: :mrgreen: :ugeek:

http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk/ :tinfoil

these haunted many kids my age ;) often on a weekly basis on BBC

https://youtu.be/w4GXCv8dtkM?t=1477
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I missed that Andy,LESS LIKELY AN INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENT. That could only come from an office worker!!!

When you have been in an industrial accident AdamBBC,and live daily with the chance of it happening,tell me it is not likely. Its why I started prepping.Two months injured and ZERO money coming in.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I think your main problem in getting anyone to be interviewed is the fact that regardless of how you portray them, the waters have already been muddied. It doesn't matter that you may make a perfectly acceptable film, the fact is, the public at large have already had their minds made up by mainstream media and their depictions of preppers being nutty as a Topic. Look at how Kirstie Allsopp was pilloried both on social media and various news outlets(including the BBC, Jeremy Vine tore the poor woman to pieces) because she had the audacity to openly say that we should be responsible for ourselves and not expect compensation after a storm cut power to homes.
I can pretty much guarantee, if you made a half decent film that made sense and showed us in a decent light, the MSM would soon pick up the story and the mickey taking would start. That is just one reason I would never agree to be interviewed.
It's a sad fact, but true.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon