Hi - I'm making a film - permission to post?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
AdamBBC

Hi - I'm making a film - permission to post?

Post by AdamBBC »

Hi everyone,

Straight up - I'm Adam, a film maker for BBC News, and I'd like to make a film on the UK prepping scene (not the overblown 'doomsday' type - something more high brow and informative).

I've read the post entitled 'For any media, journalists etc', and so I begin my quest by asking for written consent to elaborate on the film that I'd like to make and seek people who may like to feature in it.

Hope to chat soon,

Ad
Deeps

Re: Hi - I'm making a film - permission to post?

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum. Do you have an interest in the subject yourself ??
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Hello Adam,
As you may appreciate, we have had a number of journalists and film makers show an interest over the years and sadly without exception, they all turned out to simply want the loony side of prepping to make fun and make good telly(I suppose) so forgive us if we seem wary.
Can I suggest you have a good look around the forums, maybe make a few posts and tell us exactly what type of film you are looking to make, what the format will be and whether or not there is any final say by the participants.
Before you can access the pm system and fully participate in the forums you need to make 10 posts that all need approval by a moderator.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

As already mentioned above,you are more than welcome to post and ask.

Once bitten, twice shy is the best way for us to explain our reluctance. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

Hi Deeps and Brambles,

I am interested in it yes, to the point that my partner and I are talking about rendezvous locations in the event of an emergency and sorting out bug out bags etc. We've not acted on any of this yet, but it's those conversations that sparked my interest. I've also learned some of the practical aspects of survival from my time in the Army Reserve, which probably fuels my interest somewhat.

I completely understand the waryness - I've seen 'Doomsday Preppers' and the like! :shock: Those shows are also part of what is inspiring my own film... I want to find out what the prepper/survivalist scene in the UK is like - BUT - tell that story in a sensible, informative and relatable way... a kind of introduction that will leave the viewers thinking about it, not joking about it. All filming/editing would be done in such a way as to protect the location of the individuals and their preparations/homes etc.

In terms of final say, I'd absolutely work with any contributors to make the film that they'd want made. That's generally my ethos when it comes to telling people's stories. How would they want it to come across? It's not my aim to make anyone look like a nut job.

As I'm part of BBC South I ideally need to base this film down in the South of England. Berkshire would be the absolute ideal, but I can stretch the 'patch' to Wiltshire/Hampshire/South Oxfordshire/West Sussex. Alas, there's no cash involved.

If you're interested in telling your story and highlighting the concerns, priorities and efforts of survivalists in the UK, please do drop me a note on here or get in touch direct at adam.paylor@bbc.co.uk.

Thank you for having me on your forum!

Ad
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

A couple of other things. The 10 post count does not include any posts made in the introductions section so I would again suggest starting a new thread about your request elsewhere on the forums. Also please try not to proposition our members it would be good manners to wait for peopl to contact you direct or once you have reached 10 posts you can use the pm system.
Thanks
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

Post elsewhere and no propositioning - got it! Apologies, I didn't realise that would be a problem.

I'll put a fresh post out in 'How are you preparing?' on Monday if that suits?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

AdamBBC wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 pm Post elsewhere and no propositioning - got it! Apologies, I didn't realise that would be a problem.

I'll put a fresh post out in 'How are you preparing?' on Monday if that suits?
That'll be fine mate, just try to bear in mind that while you might see us a resource, forum life will go on after you've got your info. In short, its not all about you. ;) I wish you well with your film, I'll look forward to it. If you're starting to get into the prepping thang, I hope you read some stuff that resonates with you, its a pretty broad subject that some aspects have zero appeal to some while being important to others, we all prep for different reasons.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Film sounds interesting, I also wish you luck with it; and I hope you stick around long after you've made the film..
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
jansman

Post by jansman »

Good luck fella.Sorry to sound cynical,but I ain't come across a journo that does not end up painting us as whackos.You sound as if you mean well,but we always get portrayed as odd; regardless of the fact that many of us can deal with illness,redundancy,can supply our own heat and power,grow and preserve food...virtues that are seemingly not valued anymore by the population at large.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.