Hi - I'm making a film - permission to post?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Hi - I'm making a film - permission to post?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh yes those offices are like padded cells......

I work around heavy plant and big choppy machines that will remove limbs we have had fires / people crushed/ choppy things remove limbs in the industry

How many times have you used a fire extinguisher? In your day to day job? I've used about 8 in a two week period!

Do you know how to and which one to grab in the office or out and about?

And unless you've done a first aid course in the last year that included catastrophic bleeding (used to be taught as a add-on for tree surgeons as +f) a box of plasters and wet wipes really won't save the day

The BIG headline grabbing industrial accidents are rare but can really spoil your day... 60,000 none lethal accidents a year in the past year and 19 deaths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10266706

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G56UyZEL1A4#

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HOINh3mUw5g

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/indust ... /index.htm
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
AdamBBC

Post by AdamBBC »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:29 pm these haunted many kids my age ;) often on a weekly basis on BBC
https://youtu.be/w4GXCv8dtkM?t=1477
Corrr 999 - that's a throw back! I remember those. Thanks for the links Yorkshire Andy.

Jansman - it's that life-changing possibility, that could happen to anyone either at work or in the car (for example), that it would be good to highlight in the film. It's a whole other element of prepping that is taken for granted. Always something that you feel will happen to someone else.

Brambles - I hear you. I knew this wouldn't be easy, and whatever I do you can guarantee that some of the comments on social media will be daft. That happens to every film - regardless of the subject. I've had people linking a film about rude illustrations on a biscuit tin to Brexit! But the film still needs to be made in my opinion. The reasons you highlight for not doing the film (which I totally understand and relate to) are also reasons that the film needs to be made. If people are mocking preppers, they really aren't taking the message in.

I've got one prepper willing to chat. He's pretty preppared and level headed. Easily got a few months of supplies by the looks of things. Sensible and keen to help me keep the message relatable. I'm still really keen to find someone who is new to prepping, and someone like you jansman, who is prepping for the most likely eventuality of all - an accident that could happen to anyone.

All in all I think you get that I'm aiming to strike a really sensible and informative tone here. As I say, I will not publish a film that you appear in unless you sign off on it. I'm that serious about getting this right for the community that it will represent in some fashion.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I think you are sincere, truly, and that you ‘get it’.Sadly, the population at large will not. I truly believe that too.

I don’t consider myself a Prepper. I consider myself simply to be self- reliant. I grow food, preserve it, have an independent water supply should I need it, heat with wood, shoot and fish. I have no debt, am fully insured ( although I cannot afford medical insurance at my age)and can roll with the fiscal punches that life throws at me pretty much. The latter is dear to my heart, as when injured, with wife and two infants, we almost lost our home. It took me 10 more years to clear our mortgage.

I don’t expect anything for nothing, only that which I have earned or paid for. Sadly, this is not an attitude that U.K. society has in general. Folks expect a hand out, ( and my politics are nowhere near what you think after that statement!)

Many live payday to payday, that’s a fact. Your short film will never impress upon viewers that ‘preppers’ in the U.K. are very often like myself and many others here in that respect. As a preppers forum we are unique in that we weed out the more eccentric, shall we say? They do slip through, but we nail them fairly quickly, and they tend to go to other sites. Unfortunately they tend to be the attention seekers who will respond to your request. Thus reinforcing the populist image of preppers.

Good luck though.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

AdamBBC What about changing the title/ theme to maybe self resilience in the advent of a personal or local/ national emergency. In fact if you could avoid the use of the term prepper or survivalist at all it would probably be a good thing.

Good luck with the project, hopefully you keep getting one or two other interesting things to work on.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....