New here.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Lenny

New here.

Post by Lenny »

Hi everyone.

34 years of age tree surgeon in North England, totally new to prepping and looking to learn.
Deeps

Re: New here.

Post by Deeps »

Welcome Lenny what kind of stuff are you prepping for ? It will give us a clue to offer opinions. ;)
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Good question.

I'm not sure if I am honest, I watched a few episodes of doomsday preppers on Netflix and while my wife was taking the piss I was thinking "these people have a point!"

I already do a bit of bushcraft and am interested in off grid living (as much as I can)

I don't have the resources to bury a shipping container but I figure I can put together a pretty good bug out bag, maybe set a few things up in my house/garage to make me feel a bit better about my family's chances should the shit hit the fan.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome.Take your time,and dont go spending a load of gold.Prepping is quite simple really.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:26 pm Welcome.Take your time,and dont go spending a load of gold.Prepping is quite simple really.
What he says. Take your time, do you really need a bug out bag ? I don't have one, a lot of the stuff that I would put in one if needed I use going hill walking or wild camping, no point having it stuck away in a bag for a rainy day. If you go bushcrafting, you'll have stuff that you like to take with you, its a pain to raid a rucksack that sits in the corner.

Take your time to figure out what YOU are prepping for and why, it might well be different from me and I'd hazard a guess different from some dude on youtube too. Saying that, youtube is great to have a nose and see what others are doing, same with here, we're happy to 'show and tell'. :D
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Deeps wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:42 pm If you go bushcrafting, you'll have stuff that you like to take with you, its a pain to raid a rucksack that sits in the corner.

Take your time to figure out what YOU are prepping for and why, it might well be different from me and I'd hazard a guess different from some dude on youtube too. Saying that, youtube is great to have a nose and see what others are doing, same with here, we're happy to 'show and tell'. :D

What he said. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Thanks for the advice.

It all makes sense. As for the bug out bag I think I have most of the stuff I would need for a pretty decent one lying around in my garage, including the bag! I like the concept as much as anything else, I can't see it costing too much and I'll enjoy the process.

Been reading a few articles here and there on the forum and already feel like I'm learning.