Hello! Introducing myself - first post.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Inapickle

Hello! Introducing myself - first post.

Post by Inapickle »

Good morning!

I have just signed up.

I've been thinking about preparedness for a couple of years now. However the looming brexit combined with coming changes to the in work benifit system has made me realise that I need to do more than have candles, a torch and some extra food on hand for storms / snow/ powercuts.

The area I live in is also generally feeling less safe so I'm also concerned about our security .

I live in the far southwest in a large town on a small close. I'm a single parent of one child (a tween god help me!!) Im self employed and rely on in work benefits, our income is limited. Im a true single parent and get no help at all from my childs father.

Our house is rented from a housing association and we have a small back yard and small front lawn.
I do garden , flowers and keep the lawn nice mostly but I always grow runner beans. I have however decided to up this veg wise and it'll be a bit trial and error. Lol!

So my plans so far have been to get out of debt (no easy feat but im 5 months away from being debt free!!!) And to create storage for a pantry. Under the stairs seems to be the logical place so I'm mid way through clearing out the junk that seemed to have got chucked in there (!) and looking for some kind of shelving to make the most of an awkward space, free preferably. And i'm always looking for extra work!!

So far I've just watched you tube videos on prepping, they mostly dont apply to our situation, although they are interesting.

Just looking for support advice and people who dont think I'm about to don a tinfoil hat! Lol!

So hello to you all.

:)
pseudonym

Re: Hello! Introducing myself - first post.

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have a good grasp of what works for YOU and are working towards it. Hope you find the forum useful, there's loads of stuff on here and don't be afraid to ask if you can't find what you're looking for, someone will most likely be happy to toss in some info. We've plenty keen gardeners on here for starters.
Inapickle

Post by Inapickle »

Thanks. Yes attempting to find my way around the forum lots here ☺
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20180511_191738940~2.jpg
One option I got some old contiboard ( old kitchen cupboard side panels)

Some 1 1/2" square timber

Larger shelves low down going smaller as I go out and the stairs come towards you
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Inapickle

Post by Inapickle »

Hello Andy,
Thats a fantastic idea. Thankyou. ☺
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome.Getting out of debt in 5 months time is great.A real big deal.Well done.Also ,there is nothing wrong with having candles and extra grub.Sounds like you are on track.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Welcome to the group! I joined about a year ago & spent the first couple of weeks trawling through the whole of the "What preps are you doing this week part <x>" topics, all four of them (at the time, we're up to 5 now).

They're a wealth of information covering all areas to some extent in a single topic - well worth the time going through them!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 pm Welcome to the group! I joined about a year ago & spent the first couple of weeks trawling through the whole of the "What preps are you doing this week part <x>" topics, all four of them (at the time, we're up to 5 now).

They're a wealth of information covering all areas to some extent in a single topic - well worth the time going through them!
I did the same, had my eyes opened to a lot of stuff that I hadn't considered but made a lot of sense to me. Had a great time going through it all after having the epiphany that I was a prepper, not that I'm bothered about the label but it was an education. One that continues.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Although I can't remember the specific details, when going through old topics like that it's great seeing some of the ideas being seeded by folk at the beginning, right through to fruition (or sometimes not so much) later on through the year :)