Back to prepping

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Prepping_Al

Back to prepping

Post by Prepping_Al »

A few years back I got into prepping but life got in the way and most of our food preps have gone but the non food stuff is still mostly here. Like candles and extra camping equipment and some water.

A few things have happened over the last couple of months to get me looking at prepping again. The beast from the east although we didn't get the snow we did get the panic buying. But we always keep long life milk and extra bread in the freezer and usually a month's worth of food in the house so didn't need to fight for the last time of spam lol. But it did make me think we need to look at having a bit more food in the house as the family grows.
We had a guy at work go off due to a stroke and it doesn't look like he will be coming back. I'm still in my 30s but other medical things crop up and i wonder how would we cope with loosing an income for a few months. So we are doing everything we can to clear debts by the end of the year and build up the equivalent of 2 months joint salary in our savings. We will still have the mortgage to pay but always pay extra so would hope to have some flexibility with the bank if we needed it.

Fuel for our cars we both use bio diesel so building up a stock of spare fuel hoping to have a bout 200ltr plus min half tank in each car.

We aren't planning for the zombie apocalypse but the more likely loss of work through I'll health or redundancy. This should if done carefully mean we can stretch to 6 months with one of us not working before we would have a problem. But as long as we can drive we can both go back to delivery driving so wouldn't be out of work too long but wages are poor and would mean using savings so redundancy isn't it the biggest worry but ill health and not able to work is.

Now if the zombies do come it's going to be a bug in situation. Or if we have to bug out we have a touring caravan that is packed for a weekend away at all times. Just need to move the supplies and head somewhere but no plans as to where yet. I would like to get a bit of land somewhere we can leave the caravan and use it for holidays and a bol if needed.
pseudonym

Re: Back to prepping

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Sounds like you have a plan for what works for you, good stuff. Welcome to the forum.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That sounds really sensible, especially with a young family. Health issues can strike at any age, weather affects all of us, etc. No zombies need apply :)