Hello

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
moominmama

Hello

Post by moominmama »

hi,

been reading the forums for some time, and actually registered last year but first time posting....

I am a married mom of one, a toddler - living in home counties, work part time and commute into London when working.

my interest in prepping dates back to childhood in Northern Ireland, we lived near a base, and often were evacuated due to security issues, and it never failed to amaze me how some people lacked the foresight to prepare. it was not a case of money, time or forewarning - just a sort of mental block about recognising and preparing for what was likely to happen. I have to say, we were never, ever, prepared for being told to get out.... Those that did prepare just had a carrier bag with a change of cloths, a few snacks, 10p coins for the telephone and a list of numbers of those family/friends/colleagues with cars and a spare bed, who were close enough to collect them and far enough away not to have been evacuated. Not hard to put together but would have made all the difference to those people. I could never understand why so few people were prepared.

I studied economics and history, and geography at a level, and have kept an interest in these subjects. Our economics teacher was very 'conventional' but our history teacher was very open to discussing history/economics/social issues - how fragile the economic system was, Weimar Republic and hyperinflation, countries failing through bad management, etc. That cynicism has stayed with me, and grown.

Around that time I read a book, 'The Death of Grass' and it was really very scary, and then I studied about agricultural systems at university and realised how fragile our food production (actually more of importation system) is, and that scared me even more!

my other half has no interest in prepping, and I have to say that he does not really know that I prep for us.

so far I have been working on a hoard, storing water in water butts, doing an emergency bag, and sorting out our finances.

So my focus now is three fold
to build a bigger and better hoard
to look at training for a new career as an option for additional income/longer term more options in case of redundancy - I am a public sector worker
look at and investigate options for solar panels with battery storage

sorry for the long ramble, and thank you for all the advice and support I have had.
Deeps

Re: Hello

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find the site useful, I've learned a load since joining.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi, welcome to the forum. The emergency bag you mention is such a simple thing, isn't it, and it can be so surprising that people don't do it, time after time :( Certainly, now that you commute into London, a get home bag will be a boon.

The Death Of Grass was an amazing book, wasn't it! First apocalypse book (apart from John Wyndham) I read that was set in the UK.

Hope you find the forum useful.