Hey from fife Scotland!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jansman

Re: Hey from fife Scotland!

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! :lol: If you hate gardening,then think hard about vegetable gardening. You have to want to do it.Gardens are like families; easy to start,but difficult to drop.

Sometimes your energy is better spent elsewhere. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:20 pm Ha ha! :lol: If you hate gardening,then think hard about vegetable gardening. You have to want to do it.Gardens are like families; easy to start,but difficult to drop.

Sometimes your energy is better spent elsewhere. :D
I'll second that from another reluctant part time gardener. The missus is the gardener here but I do the heavier stuff, win/win, I get to eat it guilt free and she gets a hand but its not something I 'dig' (apologies :lol: ).
Scottish-prepper

Post by Scottish-prepper »

Definitely sowing seeds of doubt in my gardening plan here guys!

Don’t know hoe you can do it really.

Puns aside though, I will try starting one. I’m not into being prepared because I enjoy it like some of you no doubt are. I’m in this gig because one day I think it might be necessary. Mrs will probably help with the veg garden too so maybe won’t be too bad.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Scottish-prepper wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:47 pm Definitely sowing seeds of doubt in my gardening plan here guys!

Puns aside though, I will try starting one. I’m not into being prepared because I enjoy it like some of you no doubt are. I’m in this gig because one day I think it might be necessary. Mrs will probably help with the veg garden too so maybe won’t be too bad.
Well... you HAVE to want to do it. It’s a bit like work. You have to earn a living, and you really have to like being there. In the last five years I have walked away from jobs because they are crap.

You point out that many of us enjoy prepping. Yes, we do. Paradoxically,many of us don’t think that anything WILL happen! Prepping can help in many ways. Rather mundane, but job loss/ illness/ unexpected bills. Not just an end- of-world-event!

It’s a bit like the garden. If you don’t like it, you won’t do a good job. I have thanked myself more than once for my “life- resilience “.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Scottish-prepper

Yeah, for me it’s a form of insurance against all the things you mentioned but also worst case scenario events. It means I can sleep easier at night.

I don’t like work either but I still go. I’d much rather spend more of my year in the tropics drinking mojitos or beers until I fall asleep during the day then wake up, have dinner and hit the bars and clubs. Work means we can do that sometimes though. It’s a means to an end. I go, Think of the pay off in the long term plan and get on with it, putting in a good effort.

Plan on approaching the veg garden with the same mindset, think of the payoff down the road. Think part of the reason I have never liked gardening anyway as it’s always just been about keeping it tidy and the general aesthetics. Flowers and neatly mowed lawns don’t really get my plums pumping though. The inherent usefulness of a vegetable garden will probably make it a lot easier. I will look for lower maintenance crops though so it doesn’t demand more of my time than it needs to.
jansman

Post by jansman »

And then you will need to learn the art of preserving all that food you produce...otherwise the garden is a waste of effort. Prepping is a lifestyle.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Scottish-prepper

Funny you mention that, I’ve done a bit of research on that recently and was thinking of starting a thread asking who does this now or seeing if similar thread exists.
jansman

Post by jansman »

There is plenty to search, and plenty of experts here who know about preserving.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Life resilience, I like that. It sums up what I do and why in two words. I couldn't agree more about gardening and preserving, there are many on here who do both and have written some excellent threads on various methods, old and new.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Scottish-prepper wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:47 pm Definitely sowing seeds of doubt in my gardening plan here guys!

Not trying to be arsey mate but I bet you do enjoy it,the alternative is something that you have no interest in but feel you really should. While I'm sure there is some middle ground, you seem to be buying into the doomsday stuff. Fair do's, that's on you but that doesn't mean your way to prep is the only way to prep. Its not a competition.