New Prepper in Berkshire - Hello !

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
steveoswithmilk

New Prepper in Berkshire - Hello !

Post by steveoswithmilk »

Hi All,

Just a note to say hello - I'm based in Berkshire and have been putting a lot of thought into 'what would I do' since getting married. I have a good understanding of basic survival skills, fire lighting, knots ect.. and I am first aid trained by St John ambulance which I feel is a good start, but recently i have become increasingly worried about general civil unrest, and more specifically i live not far from AWE ( the guys who make nuclear weapons ) and that plays on my mind a lot.

My general plan is to build up a really good bug out kit for my wife and I in the case of civil unrest or economic melt down, to last up to a week, and over time build my as plans in terms of what I should do if there was a radioactive element present :geek:

Any tips would be very helpful, particularly for nuclear disaster ! ( I live about 9 miles from the AWE site )

Also I'm happy to help out with any photoshop requests as I do that for a hobby !

Thanks,
Arzosah

Re: New Prepper in Berkshire - Hello !

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, Steve - yes, it sounds like you have a really good start, and the length and type of issue sound like you'll fit right in here. And congratulations on your marriage, by the way.

Interesting you mention about AWE - there are many other types of nuclear disaster than "Mutually Assured Destruction". I don't live near you, but I do live very near the south coast of England, and if a meltdown happens in any of the many French reactors, then I might well be in a danger spot (northern France is a lot closer than Chernobyl!). The normal advice you see is to close windows and doors (like that chemical drift that sent hundreds of people to hospital in August last year). I want to do more than that! Not codified it yet though - I'll have a look and see what we've already got on here.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
steveoswithmilk

Post by steveoswithmilk »

Arzosah wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:37 pm Welcome, Steve - yes, it sounds like you have a really good start, and the length and type of issue sound like you'll fit right in here. And congratulations on your marriage, by the way.

Interesting you mention about AWE - there are many other types of nuclear disaster than "Mutually Assured Destruction". I don't live near you, but I do live very near the south coast of England, and if a meltdown happens in any of the many French reactors, then I might well be in a danger spot (northern France is a lot closer than Chernobyl!). The normal advice you see is to close windows and doors (like that chemical drift that sent hundreds of people to hospital in August last year). I want to do more than that! Not codified it yet though - I'll have a look and see what we've already got on here.
Thanks very much ! Yeah the advice seems to be stay indoors - at AWE they don’t have a reactor that would cause an event like Fukushima or Chernobyl - they put this leaflet out a while ago saying what to do in an emergency
http://www.awe.co.uk/app/uploads/2016/0 ... B-copy.pdf
If there was a Neclear attack on the site then I live close enough that no amount of prepping would make a difference, short of digging a bunker in the garden which I can’t do, however I see that as a highly unlikely possibly. My aim in to hold up with enough food and supplies for a while, defend against looting then bug out in hazmat suits to a safer location. Plus at the same time have a bug out plan in case of non neclear civil unrest !
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hi and welcome - I'd find living near that place a wee bit scary :shock: I hope you find the forum useful.