'Ey up from Yorkshire!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
BuggedInYks

'Ey up from Yorkshire!

Post by BuggedInYks »

Hi all,

Good to come across one of the few UK focused prepping sites!

Born and raised in Lancashire, I "defected" in my late teens and have spent my adult life in Yorkshire. Still not sure which I'd call home if I'm honest - depends on who I'm talking to - War of the Roses and all that!

Ideally looking to prep for every eventuality, but probably like most people have too little time and a budget to stick to, so I'm starting out steady. I'm trying to evaluate which situations I consider most likely and which would have the most direct impact on us as a family then work backwards from the top - From the most likely "smaller" events that turn your life upside down for the duration of the event - car accident, power cut etc. - to the bigger but possibly less likely stuff - war, civil unrest and the like. I figure if I'm prepared for the smaller stuff, I'm half prepared for some of the bigger events by default, but I hope to learn more from all you guys.

The short-medium term goal is to hold enough food, water, tools, materials etc. for myself and my immediate family to ride out a 'few-day' situation purely being bugged-in in my house. Beyond that, who knows right now, but I'll work it out as my supplies, skills, knowledge etc. build up.

Away from 'stuff' in the house, I want to get quite a bit fitter. Back in the day I was a lot fitter than I am now. Biking & hiking would be my go-to exercises (because they're effectively free) when time (and kids!) permits.

Just lately, my eldest (pre-teen) daughter has expressed a decent amount of interest in learning some bushcraft type skills which suits me down to the ground. I'm no Bear Grylls but if she's willing to learn and is getting excited by it then that gives me a great excuse to spend time learning new stuff myself.

Good to be here...

Cheers for now!
xplosiv1

Re: 'Ey up from Yorkshire!

Post by xplosiv1 »

hey welcome to the forum, sounds like you'll fit right in here.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Great intro, welcome to the forum. Have a nose around, there's loads of useful stuff on here.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ey up
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello BIY :) welcome to the forum.

Wars of the Roses indeed :lol: be careful! Seriously, what you're describing is exactly the type of preparedness nearly all of us on here go for, so you'll fit right in. Brilliant that your little girl is already interested in the bushcrafty stuff :)
BuggedInYks

Post by BuggedInYks »

Cheers everyone. Will have a good look through the forum over the weekend.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hi and welcome :mrgreen: