Hello from Devon

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
kh6

Hello from Devon

Post by kh6 »

Hi all,

I have been lurking for some time. I live in South Devon Dartmoor National Park. I have been prepping for some time now with bulk food purchases, a water filtration system, setting my garden up for some sort of aquaponics system (not yet finished) and I have been buying silver regularly.

We recently had some nasty snow in Devon for about 3 days, and within 2 days there was literally no food on the shelves of shops. It made me realise how precarious everything is and that a World War or nasty weather could really make things desperate.

It would be good to hear from other people down in the Devonshire area.

Thanks,
Kh6
pseudonym

Re: Hello from Devon

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find plenty useful stuff on here.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome - those kinds of things are definitely the first things to prep for, good for you.

As to connecting IRL with others - keep on posting, people don't usually set things up straight away. I hope you find the forum useful.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Hello and welcome. 20 years ago I got a job in Exeter and moved to Kinsgsteignton. 3 years later I got a better job and moved back.
Still got family and friends down there and am thinking about moving there when I retire (well, the wife is, I want to move to Crete)
kh6

Post by kh6 »

korolev wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 pm Hello and welcome. 20 years ago I got a job in Exeter and moved to Kinsgsteignton. 3 years later I got a better job and moved back.
Still got family and friends down there and am thinking about moving there when I retire (well, the wife is, I want to move to Crete)

I literally live about a 10 minutes drive from Kingsteignton, it's an amazing part of the world Devon. Although I would prefer Crete. ;)
kh6

Post by kh6 »

Thanks for the warm welcome all! I've got a lot to learn and not much time to learn it, so here goes.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm down in the corner in Plymouth, but I go out to play near Newton Abbot regularly, I'm not too worried about WW3 TBH, bad weather is a concern as you say, but for most if us a little preparation gets us through it, the trick is being sufficiently stocked to not have to go out at all, luckily the way the weather fell my essentials shopping fell the day before the panic that the beast from the east created and before the rush on round two, the shelves were emptying and you could feel the desperation of some people.
I wasn't worried I could make bread, use powdered milk, and leave the car on the doorstep and walk to town to do anything which had to be done ( not that it did ) living in a city has mostly cons for a prepper, but there are one or two pros.
So how long are you going to prep for bad weather for two weeks, a month? If next winter goes the same way I take it this year taught you where your shortcomings were?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Least that new road past Newton abbot makes traffic flow better ;)

Ohhh trago mills ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
korolev

Post by korolev »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:41 am Least that new road past Newton abbot makes traffic flow better ;)

Ohhh trago mills ;)
I used to think I was working class (single parent mum, struggled to make ends meet), then I went to Trago Mills....