Beginner urban prepper

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Casso

Beginner urban prepper

Post by Casso »

Hi all!

I’m a young professional who lives in the welsh capital city of Cardiff with my partner. I’ve always had an interest in all things law enforcement / military (actively trying find my way into an LEO position) and I think this, along with my skepticism for the route that society is taking, has brought me to the point of wanting to prep for social and economic collapse.

I’ll be honest from the go, I’m a gear lover. I love tactical gear, as long as it’s practical gear. I want to ensure I have the best equipment to ensure I have the best chance at success, but I need to back that up with knowledge and I hope this forum will help me find the right stuff.

I intend to prep urban and bug-in as my first line of survival, then have multiple bug-out locations as backups. My partner isn’t wholly into prepping to the level I am, but I have gotten her onboard with jointly deciding on emergency evac routines and bugout locations - as well as stocking the flat.

I have come here with a hope of sharing and learning from you all, as well as networking with peepers local to myself. I believe that although we have a responsibility to ourselves and immediate relations firstly, that eventually we can find strength in numbers.

I look forward to sharing and discussing with you all!

Casso (Urban Prepper in Cardiff)
Deeps

Re: Beginner urban prepper

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful. What's a LEO by the way ????
Casso

Post by Casso »

Deeps wrote:Welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful. What's a LEO by the way ????
Law Enforcement Officer, sorry it’s a bit of an American term I think. I’m a gamer so I naturally talk with Americans a lot :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Casso wrote:
Deeps wrote:Welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful. What's a LEO by the way ????
Law Enforcement Officer, sorry it’s a bit of an American term I think. I’m a gamer so I naturally talk with Americans a lot :)
I probably should have figured that out in fairness, I'm used to Forces jargon and it wasn't one I was familiar with although it varies between the different branches, I've been branded by a number of different titles that all pretty much amounted to the same thing. I hate acronysms in the RN, RAF and other branches of HM AF's. :P
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Welcome to the forum.

Although you say your partner isn't into prepping to your level, what she is involved with is quite impressive. My wife is aware I prep, and agrees with my reasons, but pretty much leaves me to it. I just make she knows what we have, what we should do in certain circumstances and where everything is in case I don't make it home.

'I love tactical gear, as long as it's practical gear' that also describes me to a tee. I am a sucker for the tacti-cool look, but I do try to be more practical.

Take a good look around here, there is loads to stuff to read up on.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Casso

Post by Casso »

Deeps wrote:
Casso wrote:
I probably should have figured that out in fairness, I'm used to Forces jargon and it wasn't one I was familiar with although it varies between the different branches, I've been branded by a number of different titles that all pretty much amounted to the same thing. I hate acronysms in the RN, RAF and other branches of HM AF's. :P
No problem! I imagine you serve in one of the branches? What is it that you do, if I may ask?
Britcit wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Although you say your partner isn't into prepping to your level, what she is involved with is quite impressive. My wife is aware I prep, and agrees with my reasons, but pretty much leaves me to it. I just make she knows what we have, what we should do in certain circumstances and where everything is in case I don't make it home.

'I love tactical gear, as long as it's practical gear' that also describes me to a tee. I am a sucker for the tacti-cool look, but I do try to be more practical.

Take a good look around here, there is loads to stuff to read up on.
Thanks! I look forward to being here.

I actually talked to my partner last night after seeing this response about it all and to basically double check that it wasn’t just a fleeting agreement (I’m sure we’ve all experienced those), and she is fully on board. Not only is she onboard, but she’s just done an extensive first aid course and wants to do a first responder course if she can. Got my medic sorted!

What skills would you guys suggest for urban survival? Ultimately, one of my bug out locations will be in the valleys, to meet up with family, but it’s my last port of call.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

To answer your question, Navigation.

Learn all your routes in and out, above and below ground.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm a gentleman of leisure these days Casso, although I prefer to think of myself as a 'trophy husband'. :lol:

I was mostly Navy with 4 years of RAF thrown in, doing communications. I've taken to being a civvy very easily though, I've got awfully fond of doing my own thing. :D
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

hey welcome to the forum, good job getting the other half on board its always helpful, took me a few years
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Casso

Post by Casso »

Thank you all for your warm welcome and starter tips!

I’m just wondering, what is the best and most slimlined way of potentially forming groups here? I intend to learn, put to practice my knowledge and then hopefully create some kind of group in my area that, should SHTF and certain criteria is met, we could meet up and work toward our common goal of survival.

I know it may sound silly, but I do think that a month or so into a severe and long lasting SHTF situation, a group setting would be more beneficial.