Why is no one prepping to save the crowds?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Xtgirl

Why is no one prepping to save the crowds?

Post by Xtgirl »

I'm new here and at the risk of being branded hopelessly naive, I wonder why so many on here are so hell bent on an "us and them" mentality. Why not prepare to use the best resource we have, our fellow humans, to stand together and look after each other if disaster strikes?

Does it not make sense to pool resources - surely 40 people standing together and looking after each other stand a much better chance of survival than a family of 3 on their own in the bundu.

Why not think of a strategy of rounding up everyone in the neighbourhood at a time of crisis and leading people into a support network. If resources are scarce, would not several people working together to find/collect water and find/share/produce food be much more productive?

Why not think of your prepping in terms of how you can use it to bring others round to form part of your "survival group" when shtf.

I don't know, reading everyone's comments about the "hordes" who might attack and whom they must hide from and defend from... it comes across as so small minded.

If the "starving hordes" are coming for you because you have stashed away food or you are escaping to a patch of land somewhere... do you think you can out fight and outsmart them all?

Why not prep and learn skills to lead people in a crisis, learn how to form effective working units and maybe avoid large scale panic and chaos, one neighbourhood at a time.

It's natural to feel protective and holier than thou because we had the forethought to stash some tins and have water filtration systems whilst the rest of the world did nothing. .. but even if you don't give a shit about humanity, surely it makes sense in a disaster to rally people together rather than see everyone "else" as an enemy.

I wonder if we have not been brain washed by too many distopian movies and creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

Why does a shtf scenario have to end in people creating chaos and every man for himself. Why can't it be the moment when we amaze each other with our compassion and humanity and we all survive together?
itsybitsy

Re: Why is no one prepping to save the crowds?

Post by itsybitsy »

I'm approved this, against my better judgement.

Quite frankly, you are the one who is coming across as holier than thou. And making sweeping generalizations is unlikely to help your cause to coax those of us who try to look after ourselves to feed the world (or what's left of us after the 'starving hordes' have run amok - in your imagination at least). I've been a member of this forum for a long time and I don't believe I've ever used that terminology.

Our members, for the most part, are prepping for plausible, realistic situations such as as job losses, financial instability, extended periods of adverse weather and so on. Not Walking Dead type zombie infestation scenarios. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the show, it's one of my favourites; but it's not gonna happen in the real world.

If you want to set up a Prepper-esque street party, crack on - do come back and let us know how you get on.

And just one final comment, this is UK Preppers, I think you'll find that's self-explanatory. To the best of my knowledge, nobody on here inhabits a bundu. Mind you, Briggs 2.0 is living outside until his house is buiit so he may beg to differ, particularly after the weather of the past couple of weeks, eh Briggs?

Welcome to the forum.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Well bear in mind some of us have had minimal contact with folk nearby, some types of housing and areas don't make it easy, and yet after an initial period of keeping one's head down many of us intend to try and muck in, if anything the recent weather has shown that there could indeed be reason to have a little more faith in humanity, but as to saving the crowds generally, I'm fairly sure I'd get laughed at, used and generally taken advantage of by the worst types whom I am well aware of being surrounded by, I'd love to be part of a community but I'm here and it is what is is, and they are what they are, I see and hear enough to not want to get involved in their lives unless I have to :lol:

Add to that I/We cannot afford to help anyone else ( we can barely help ourselves TBH these days) there is hope for society, there may be light at the end of the tunnel, but looking after the crowds has to be a top down thing, currently those at the top are pretty much only interested in themselves, I hope times change before they go completely to sh1t, but as Itsy says for the most part we aren't about the end of the world, just more frequent crap.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

There are many flaws in the OP, as itsybitsy points out, sweeping generalizations make me question how much you actually know about the subject. If you have thought about it so much, maybe you would be willing to tell us how you yourself are prepping with your community? Do you have tried and tested methods of getting your neighbours on board? I'm sure you would have some workable examples before posting something like the original post.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I can see a load of sweeping statements, not naive, but they are pretty rude assumptions. I believe you may have happened upon UK Preppers as it's generally the first prepping site to pop up on a Google search and planted your diatribe of generalisation. If you took the time to read this forum you would notice a distinct lack of the behaviour you are detailing.
As Clarabelle has said, do you have a plan that includes your community? If you do, I think we would all be interested in how you intend to implement it. Plymtom has hit the nail on the head here by saying community care comes from the top down, those of us at the bottom will do what we can with what we have, but none of us have a crystal ball and we cannot see what the future holds. If you truly believe that the world is in such bad shape, then I strongly urge you to contact your govt representative and find out from the top what their strategy is and how you can help.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

First off, welcome to the forum, hope you find the site useful.

Some of us have discussed working with neighbours etc in the past, simple answer is it would be on a case by case scenario. While I get on with my neighbours and am lucky enough to have good friends living close by, some who I've served with, that doesn't automatically mean that everyone is going to fall into line and we're going to work as a team. I'd hope we could but people being people its wildly idealistic to assume that people aren't going to want to do their own thing or decide that they're too good to be digging ditches or whatever. It would take quite a strong leader to make it work. You don't need to watch distopian fantasy to see what can happen, watch the news whenever there's a disaster, people will screw each other over and exploit any advantage (and I'm not even talking about the aid workers).

If you want to go all Sarah Connor that's noble but I lack the charm, charisma, oratory skills (and breasts) to fill that role, even if I'd wanted to.

If you haven't already, have a nose around the threads on here, while we might enjoy a bit of speculation on 'what if' for the SHTF type stuff we're generally a bit more mundane. Serious question, how would you go about learning the skills you talk of to lead a group in this scenario ?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Like a Boss! Her arms are giving me serious bicep envy! Must train harder (but not while smoking a fag) :mrgreen:

jansman

Post by jansman »

I'll say welcome.Sounds like you have a steep learning curve in the art of getting real though.When your neighbours start routinely sharing their weekly groceries and income with you,let me know.Then I will take your ideas seriously.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote:I'll say welcome.Sounds like you have a steep learning curve in the art of getting real though.When your neighbours start routinely sharing their weekly groceries and income with you,let me know.Then I will take your ideas seriously.
Shame on you Jansman. Where's your compassion and humanity... :mrgreen:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Ah, the old share and share alike theme.

I'll buy into that when they give me an Iphone ,4K tv and a mercedes. Until then kiss my Lily white plastic storage bins. :mrgreen:

Oh and welcome to the Forum.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.