Why is no one prepping to save the crowds?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
unsure

Re: Why is no one prepping to save the crowds?

Post by unsure »

hello and welcome .

i don`t know about were you live , were i live ,i can count on one hand the people i`d trust to have my back rather than stab me in it , so to speak .
one is my dad the other is my son . people tend to keep them selves to them selves , some are to busy working , the others don`t care so long as their benefits get paid . i know not all people are like that but around me they are .
in the first dozen house`s in the street we have .
a family of the can`t be bothered to work types . the kind that have the police around a few times a week .
a family of the duck and dive types .
a couple who have parties for any reason and get drugged up .
then theres me .
my son next door .
a polish couple who have not long ago moved in
a couple of drunks , again the can`t be bothered to work types .
a large family of chav`s .
thats just one side of the street and i`m not even half way down .

so please tell me why i would even think of going out on a limb to help them .

18 month ago , our power had a habit of blowing out in the street . not one of them asked if we needed a coffee or a hot meal , the only reason any one stuck there head up was to complain about the house alarm going off .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

itsybitsy wrote:
And just one final comment, this is UK Preppers, I think you'll find that's self-explanatory. To the best of my knowledge, nobody on here inhabits a bundu. Mind you, Briggs 2.0 is living outside until his house is buiit so he may beg to differ, particularly after the weather of the past couple of weeks, eh Briggs?

Welcome to the forum.
Aw, it's lovely to be thought of in testing times :-) It's been below minus five for the past few nights, so it's been a bit of a test. Maybe one day I'll start a post on what it's like to spend a year living in the 'bundu'.

In response to the OPs post, I'm fortunate in that I live in a small rural community which does have an emergency plan for adverse weather and medium to long-term power outages, focusing upon caring for the more vulnerable members. We are very remote so we cannot rely upon the council to clear roads, maintain communication links, keep the medical centre operational or deliver emergency supplies. The teams that do this are organised by the local community. Despite my temporary living situation which most would find extreme, I was out and about, assisting with snow clearing. I'm definitely not trying to be holier than thou, I consider myself very fortunate to be in a community like this. However, having seen the reports of how one community looted then destroyed their local Lidl supermarket, I would be a lot less keen to step forward and be an active, proactive member of that sort of community In that situation, as Plymptom said, and I'm paraphrasing, being helpful doesn't help yourself. I understand from being on this forum for some time, that a fair number of contributors live in an area where support and cooperation is not the norm and they prepare accordingly, and so would I.

If the OP does stick around on this forum, I am sure he would find that the regular contributors have a balanced, sensible, outlook and plan accordingly to best suit their own situation and the OP would learn a great deal from reading more before making sweeping generalisations. The share and share alike plan is not always the best plan, unfortunately.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I prep for more everyday emergencies, but then if there were to be a SHTF type event then I stand as good a chance of surviving it as anyone on here provided a nuke doesn't land on my head.

I won't be helping anyone in that event, outside friends and family, survive the first six months without degenerating into an uncivilized savage and I'll think about whether to help you.

The way I see it, at least half of the population will fail that test, and some are little more than uncivilized savages already, the one silver lining in that mushroom cloud is that they won't last very long and we can start again without that particular sub species of humanity that thinks the world owes them a living.
Some people genuinely need help through no fault of their own, I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about those that have no ambition other than to sit in their benefit funded social housing all day breeding and watching Jeremy Kyle on their stolen telly while making no effort to contribute anything or help themselves.

I'm only half serious here, but those people do exist, and there are a lot of them.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Loving the comments, and agreeing with all of them - and omigod, Sarah Connor in Terminator 2! Loved that film.

The OP *does* come across as naive, or young, actually - it would be lovely if preparedness was about acting as they describe, but most of it isn't. The Lidl raid with a digger, the people who pretended to live at Grenfell Tower and get free hotel accommodation for a while as a result, they're all someone's neighbours. My own neighbours are a mix: allotmenteers, chicken keepers, a forest ranger, a radio ham, great, but also a couple of families who regularly get the police called out on them.

Meanwhile, many members on here are older or disabled, or would be people who others might think of as "needing help". And if you want to look even further beyond the stereotypes of "starving hordes", which no one on here refers to except maybe in the same breath as "zombies", just do a forum search for **neighbours** and look at the attitudes and behaviours of forum members. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Briefly because history and painful experience tells us that in prepping / survival etc there are producers / doers / givers and consumers / users / takers. But personally I have no desire to assist anyone who has not made SOME steps to help themselves BEFORE they reach out. I will gladly assist someone who has realised for themselves the NEED to be prepared and have taken first faltering steps before looking to join up with others.
But as is often seen in prepping during normal times all we get is abuse or ridicule for being preppers, but suddenly when bad things happen our former tormenters want to be our bestest friends.

Probably the best known example of this is featured in the famous sci fi survival series The Day Of The Triffids ( either TV version not the movie)
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Some fantastic replies in this thread not sure I can add anything more.

The OP seems to think that if the brown stuff did hit the proverbial fan that everyone is going to be on the same page with the same goals and mentality ....... now something like this would be much more achievable say with a small island community (who are normally people who prep anyway but wouldn't necessarily consider themselves "preppers")but to think you could do this with a city thats a whole different ball game, the government couldnt even achieve that without some kind of marshal law in place with the army on the streets forcing people to participate at gun point.

Like others have said in a SHTF situation I would gladly help any of my neighbors, as long as it wasn't detrimental to my well being or my family's. Lets say with all my preps I could feed my family for 6 months, if I decided to also feed lets say just two neighbors houses along with my own ..... we now have food for 4 weeks, add another neighbors family were down to 2 weeks. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Very few people on this site are solely prepping for civilization ending SHTF scenarios, its more for the everyday prepps for life or short term emergencies with some bushcraft thrown in for good measure.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Why is no one prepping to save the crowds? Silly little point but isnt that what the government is SUPPOSED to be doing?
jansman

Post by jansman »

preppergb wrote:Why is no one prepping to save the crowds? Silly little point but isnt that what the government is SUPPOSED to be doing?
Ha ha! :lol: I read somewhere that Ronald Reagan once stated that the nine scariest words were," I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!"Nuff said.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

XtGirls first post was always going to rile up the natives by showing a certain naivety and inexperience in the mind of many members. Ive been there myself and done that, read the book got the T shirt etc, we probably all have at one stage in our preps I'm sure. At least it got approved and posted and not discarded outright which says a lot, well done mods. :D We all need to make mistakes in order to learn.

If Xtgirl is still around? If so I doubt that you will find an easy answer to your question Im afraid, every time I personally have bought up the question of prepping with family, colleagues and friends you tend to get the same rolling eyes look and disbelief or utter lack of understanding. But dont give up, keep trying to find other like minded people to yourself and start off with just helping each other to learn about prepping etc. Don't let the fear of being seen as nut case stop you, if you want to create the type of inclusive group scenario you describe then you have to start somewhere. I dont think what you describe would happen naturally of its own course these days (after a SHTF incident) as families and communities are simply too disjointed and self indulgent, like many of those described by other members on here.

Nameste.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I don't see anybody getting riled up ... though its true, a few people were not as smooth as they normally are :?

And as for "families and communities are simply too disjointed and self indulgent," these days, well, I'm sure some are. But hundreds of people who just happen to live by the M62 were out on the motorway far into the night, providing hot drinks and hot food, they sound like they really pulled together in what was definitely a localised shtf moment. There were other examples too, all over the news. I was on the receiving end of that kind of thing myself in Cornwall when an event got absolutely washed out, a local church opened up to receive the bedraggled eventers like me, and the a lot of villagers turned out to help.

I like to stick to concrete examples - my earlier post here had concrete examples of the *other* sort of behaviour :mrgreen: I suppose human beings are still as varied as they always were, basically.