Why is no one prepping to save the crowds?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
diamond lil

Re: Why is no one prepping to save the crowds?

Post by diamond lil »

Some excellent posts in here - you lot are very very wise. ;)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

To be a bit of a fence sitter I'm not going to throughly dismiss the original post. There are some relevant points. To say that the "crowds" or population as a whole isn't prepped for is wrong. The government provides social security for those that lose their jobs for instance. It's nowhere near a perfect system and discussing that could fill many pages on it's own but it just about does the job , try finding a case of someone starving to death in this country since the war. We have the NHS that covers , or try's to cover , our health and in the recent bad weather we have seen the military brought in to help people. You could even argue the police and army had preps in place to protect the public from hazards currently unfolding in Salisbury.
That said , as others have pointed out there are many who are frankly ( and I apogolise for this not being very PC) not worth the effort to look after. There are criminals , the workshy and at the other end the greedy who think it's their right to exploit others as much as possible . To me making plans , having preps and looking to the future is about a survival of the species. The whole lone wolf idea of survival is ludicrous, if we all did that humans would go extinct. Communities , yes , are the way to go if we should ever suffer some huge event which I actually doubt , but probably smaller communities with far less "hangerons " . Trying to remove those who wouldn't want to be a part comes dangerously close to certain politics of the 1930-40's but giving them the opertunaty to change or die out seems at least partly humane.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Interesting first post

Troll or journalist??

What you are describing is sort of Communism - I do not mean to get political but a situation where everyone helps everyone else has not worked in history.

There are some amazing people on this site who I am sure would probably help others if they could but in SHTF situation which I think you are describing people will look after their own. We saw people helping each other in the snow and floods.

But everyone in society is different some will steal, some would help, others would hide you cant force people to band together as. These differences make us humans.

I will leave it there and look forward to your next post...............
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I think they were a drive by. :roll:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Trojanhorse wrote:Interesting first post

Troll or journalist??

What you are describing is sort of Communism - I do not mean to get political but a situation where everyone helps everyone else has not worked in history.

There are some amazing people on this site who I am sure would probably help others if they could but in SHTF situation which I think you are describing people will look after their own. We saw people helping each other in the snow and floods.

But everyone in society is different some will steal, some would help, others would hide you cant force people to band together as. These differences make us humans.

I will leave it there and look forward to your next post...............
Probably not for the benefit of the original poster who has in all likelyhood disappeared . I agree there are always going to be some who don't fit in especially in larger communities , probably why a small village isa nicer place to live than a huge city. I'm not at all religious but it does seem that (some) communities based on faith do seem to have the edge when it comes to working together harmoniously. Take the Mormons , Amish and Buddhists for example. Probably the best example communism has to be Yugoslavia . Under communist rule the country was peacefull and worked together but afterwards we all know what happened . People also talk of how we all pulled together during the war , which though there was still crime , is generally true. It's also the time when Britain was run along communist lines more than any other time in it's history which I always find a delicious irony given that we had Churchill with his irrational hatred of communism as our leader.
But to get back to the OP's original question about why we don't pool resources it's pretty simple really. A substantial chunk of the population have no resources to pool either through an inability to contribute or a complete apathy about wanting to and even the richest prepper on here would find it difficult to have stocks and supplies sufficient for tens of people.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

One question , I see the OP has a post count of one and I always thought that posts in this section didn't count but can't find anything from him/her anywhere else?
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

grenfell wrote:One question , I see the OP has a post count of one and I always thought that posts in this section didn't count but can't find anything from him/her anywhere else?
itsy allowed the post in the new members section. The post count does go up, but they don't count towards the 10 posts needed for unmoderated access to the boards. She has not posted anything else and nothing is waiting for moderation. Like I said, a drive by. :roll:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I hope she does post again and we can fin out more about her plans. I would like to be proved wrong!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Trojanhorse wrote:I hope she does post again and we can fin out more about her plans. I would like to be proved wrong!
Agreed, while I didn't fully agree with her, its always good to hear others views, there's no one 'right' way to prep, we'll all have our own take on things.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Brambles wrote:
grenfell wrote:One question , I see the OP has a post count of one and I always thought that posts in this section didn't count but can't find anything from him/her anywhere else?
itsy allowed the post in the new members section. The post count does go up, but they don't count towards the 10 posts needed for unmoderated access to the boards. She has not posted anything else and nothing is waiting for moderation. Like I said, a drive by. :roll:
Thanks for clearing that up.