Hello all, new member and new to prepping

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Briggs 2.0

Re: Hello all, new member and new to prepping

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

lsnduck wrote:Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Briggs 2.0 wrote:(It makes a pleasant change from 'I'm worried about society collapsing, I've bought a machete, a fire-steel and an airgun and I'm running away to the woods'.....discuss).
Although a nice useful knife is somewhere on the list, to be honest I'm more of a pyromaniac.
Ahah, pyromania is covered in depth in Prepping Level 3 where you will learn all about the wonders of potassium permanganate. Feel free to use the interweb to do a bit of research......you'll want to be stockpiling PP and more sugar before you know it. (Google will explain all).

When friends and family bring up the subject of preparedness, I always ask them what they would do if the water went off, or the electricity, or both at the same time. At night. How long could they go before they were cold, thirsty, hungry and insecure? I think prepping is all about common sense, it's about making yourself and your loved one's as secure as possible in unexpected situations and it's nothing new; generations before ours lived the prepping way as a matter of course.

I doubt you're actually reading this, you've been distracted by google-tubing potassium permanganate. While you're on the inter-tube, also check out how handy a brass eyeliner pencil can be when it comes to fire-starting. I prefer the double slot eyeliner, two blades, two different size holes.

Enjoy!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

lsnduck wrote:
Arzosah wrote:Even short term, though, I'd advise a slightly larger stock - 4 weeks, rather than two. Imagine if both you and your partner came down with flu, such a simple thing - okay, one of you will still have to go to the shops, but its a lot easier if the shop you *have* to do is half your normal size.
Aye, that is my longer term intention. At the moment though, I'm looking to get something built up and financial pressures mean it will take a little while to get to that point.

In reality, we don't go below having one week of food in the kitchen anyway, and typically it is more than two. We do a lot of batch cooking, so the freezer is well stocked with full meals (including prepared food for the baby). So our normal stock plus two weeks long-life food stashed elsewhere feels like a good starting point for me right now, and then I can re-evaluate in a couple of months.
Aha! You're way ahead of where I thought you were :) my bad.

But now I've been distracted by brass eyeliner pencils ... uh, with blades? Briggs, are you having a nightmare? Sorry for the hijack, Isnduck!
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

It would be a nightmare if I didn't have a two slot pencil sharpener in my bag! Can't beat the brass ones with two blades or whatever it is that the sharp edge is called.

Add a dry twig (or pencil) twist repeatedly, et voila, instant dry tinder! A pyromaniacs dream, no nightmares!

Briggs
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Oh I see! Colour me stainless steel for the same thing for the same reason :)
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

welcome to the forum, sounds like you're well on your way and at least as clued up as any of us longer term members. Look forward to reading future posts.
Sonicuk

Post by Sonicuk »

Welcome, there’s plenty to learn here and loads of friendly advice whenever you need it!