Complete begginer in Wales

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Crashing*Thunder

Complete begginer in Wales

Post by Crashing*Thunder »

Hi I'm a long time lurker on this and other sites. I find myself constantly drawn to conspiracy theories and I cant shake an impending feeling of doom. I watch a lot of youtube videos about bushcraft and other useful prepper tips but I've yet to make a start myself other than hoarding bottled water. I really don't know where to start as I live in a big city and it probably wouldn't be safe for me to try out survival skills in any wooded areas around here on my own (strangely I cannot persuade the people I know to take my fear seriously). I cant help but feel collecting food ect in my home would be pointless as I would have no way to transport it to a bug out location, I'm not able to financially invest in large scale kits, all I have is time, and an ever deepening panic that time is running out. I've seen members on here ask new comers what disaster they want to prep for, in my opinion nuclear war, natural disaster and financial collapse are all very possible, I'd just hate to watch the world disappear around me knowing that I knew it was coming and did nothing.
Deeps

Re: Complete begginer in Wales

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum. A good start with the water, I wouldn't stop there, food, first aid kit and other essentials to keep you going for a week or two will be handy in most situations. There are a lot more situations than nuclear war to concern you but if that's your concern then its going to get expensive.
Crashing*Thunder

Its what I can most easily prepare for in my current surroundings, assuming Cardiff doesn't receive a direct hit. I have a basement under a relatively high building really close by but other people can access it so I don't want to leave too much stuff down there. Oh yes I do love first aid kits and tcp! I was looking at some of the bio suits online but the price is a little out of my current bracket. I'm concerned about most feasible disasters. I think that a natural disaster or an asteroid hitting earth is as likely as a nuclear attack. Also I've been looking into the gold trade being falsified with "paper gold" which could quite easily destabilise the world economy. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Does anyone in the uk maybe run prepping courses or would a general survival skills course give me better odds of surviving?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome to the forum. Water is a good start also food for a while as it dosen't matter what the emergency is, you need to eat and drink. If all you have is time then use it wisely. Read all you can and practice what you read whenever you get the chance. Knowledge is a prep too. Build up your skills base, lighting fires, foraging in your city etc. Good luck.
Crashing*Thunder

Thanks both, ooh city foraging I'll have to look into that, I can see a book online about urban wild foods thanks
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Hi and welcome.

My one piece of advice for you is 'take a breath and relax'. Your posts mention asteroids, nuclear war, TCP, foraging, and cellars. Forgive me if I'm wrong but it looks like you are trying to focus on too many things at once.
As mentioned, focus on the basics that will cover most\all situations. If a war starts, you need water and food. If there's a heavy snowstorm leaving you housebound, you need water and food. If the zombie apocalypse happens :tinfoil then you still need water and food.

If you start off focusing on the more likely problems, and prep for those, you soon realise that those preps will most likely also help if something 'big' happens.
If there were a wide scale 72 hour power cut in your area today, can you cook food?

Not sure if that does help, but I hope it does.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Tip on urban foraging - collect nothing growing below 2 feet from the ground. Think of the height of an Alsatian's cocked leg.... :shock: :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb