Hi, new member

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Kathyw

Hi, new member

Post by Kathyw »

Hi. I'm so pleased to have found this group. I'd like to get prepared for trouble which I'm sure is coming. I've given some thought to the subject but feel as though I end up going round In circles about what I should be doing. So I'm Looking forward to getting Good information.

Regardss

Kathy
Deeps

Re: Hi, new member

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum Kathy, what kind of things are you prepping for ????
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome Kathy

What "trouble" are you thinking of preparing for?

Don't spend a penny till you know what YOU want / need

Most people concentrate on a Bug out bag...... What use is that in most emergencies? Take a house fire what use is a machete, 3 big knives, a emergency tent and a air gun?????

a over night bag with complete change of clothes x 2 a copy of your insurance policy a phone charger and medications and toiletries/ towel would be welcome / affordable most people could raid their wardrobe for the most of it those trousers that look faded the t-shirt that is baggy etc those toiletries great aunty got you for Christmas that you don't like the smell of ,and the faded beach towel that lives at the bottom of the blanket box
a tatty pair of trainers a old jacket and a cheap phone charger from Amazon in a cheap holdall or bag for life hung in the garden shed.... If the house god forbid catches fire and the fire men pluck you in your night dress from the bedroom window you have something to change into
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! It's really practical, as Yorkshire Andy's post confirms, it will definitely help you break out of the whole 'going round in circles' thing.
Kathyw

Post by Kathyw »

Hi. couldnt get back on earlier.

I just want husband (and 2 cats!) and myself to be prepared if there are any problems, but not just locally. Used to travel quite a bit at weekends across southern england to go to cat shows and always had an emergency bag for the cat and myself, but this was usually in the warmer months. Have taken note of what would need for colder weather - especially after hearing about cars being stuck in snow on motorways (always worry about wanting to go to the loo if that happens!!). so I've got a box in car with water, chocolate and snack bars, car stuff like jump leads (which I must refresh on how to use of course). but need to consider things like charging phones when car not working - seen about wind up radio with charge point. but which type?

never given any thought to having copies of important documents with me or easily available, so will address that.

it's what to do if there's a civil emergency - living near London might not have to worry if there's a big nuclear attack as possibly wouldnt be here to worry! but seriously, need to think about protecting ourselves - disabled husband, might be my sister and the 2 cats - cant forget them. have plenty of food for them all the time but need to start looking into stuff for humans. us humans 60-70 yrs. but wouldnt have anywhere to try and get away to - been reading a book set in America where the family is really in to survival - having places way away from others set up with months/years of supplies. bit eye opening when you consider the political state of the world at the moment. husband says i am being stupid, but he might be grateful for my preparations.

regards

kathy
jansman

Post by jansman »

Don't worry about having to evacuate.it is known as' Bugging out' in prepping circles.You are far better to have a bag ready to go to a hotel,that is pet friendly,( do your research ahead of time- thanks Brambles!),in the more likely event of ,say ,a gas leak.It happened to us on New years Day,and proves that the more mundane things actually happen.Personally,I do not worry about Nuclear War.Focus on the likely problems.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Kathy, while you might enjoy the Apocalypse fiction, its fiction, and the US is completely different to over here, especially if you're in the south of England, there's going to be a lot of people looking for that same 'bug out location' as you and if your group is on the more mature side then you have to consider that you could be quite easily parted from your gear by a couple of young 'toughs'. That's assuming the unlikely scenario of 'bugging out' to the wilds actually happens, you're much more likely to have to 'bug out' to friends or family for some reason. We all prep for different reasons but prioritise what YOUR most likely threats are, whether its floods or fire or whatever, even civil unrest might not be that much of an issue if you live in suburbia instead of the town centre. Whatever works for YOU basically, not me or some dude on youtube, preps can also include forging good relations with your neighbours, if things do go south for whatever reason, these are the people you'll be 'stuck' with.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Kathy - your preps for your car journeys are spot on, thats the kind of thing that people are referring to when they say to look at the stuff thats more likely to happen. And you're also right to look at the news about what might happen: stuck in a freezing car, yes, but also, unexploded bomb locally, a big gas leak, robbery, house fire, floods, power cuts, water supply problems (anything from a water main break to normal additives accidentally added in toxic quantities). There's lots of things you can do before worrying about nuclear bombs :)

Your husband's disability, and the cats, are the most important factors to cope with. Take your time, have a look around the forum, and ask as many questions as you need.

By the way, lots of us love apocalyptic fiction too - even back to classics like the ones written by John Wyndham.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

However you decide to go about things, it is best not to make it obvious to those around you. In the event of civil unrest/financial crash, or fuel shortages, people may well come looking for that store of food or extra fuel you put aside. Keep mum and appear normal.