New to this forum, my preps saved me.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Rebel Prepping

New to this forum, my preps saved me.

Post by Rebel Prepping »

While at university i had an issue with my student loan and university place so i was temporarily not being funded and couldn't use the Universities emergency system. I went from thinking i was having my loans come in in 2 days to living on what i had in the house as i had no other money. Fortunately i had been stockpiling small amounts of food for a while and had a months worth of food stored. On top of this i had improved my skills in bush craft and was able to gather local wild edible plants that supplemented my stores and extended my food supply a further 3 weeks. When the issue was finally resolved i was able to use the money to replenish my stockpile. Without my preps i would have had to choose between starvation or getting a loan from a predatory loan company. prepping isn't just about world ending disasters it's also about smoothing out the smaller hiccups that happen throughout life.
Deeps

Re: New to this forum, my preps saved me.

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, apart from being a student, what else are you prepping for ? ;)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm hoping you're a youngster so that I am not wrong saying I find it encouraging that not all the younger generation are as helpless and hopeless as we often fear :lol:
To a degree a certain amount of preparedness should be part of our education system, I also think the young should be taught to question change, I bought some ammo yesterday which was put in a very nice and very strong small paper carrier bag, we are coming full circle on packaging at last, wouldn't it have been nice if we brought ourselves up to think of the negative impact of change, modernization, one thing to avoid home automation, it may be fun and convenient to ask Alexa to do stuff for you, but what we mustn't go and do is remove the capacity to do it for ourselves ;) It's good to see hope out there.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Welcome
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum. Wow, you managed to forage 3 weeks worth of food - tell me more!
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

hey welcome to the forum.

A months worth of food is good for most little hiccups that can occur, just out of interest what food did you forage?

surely your uni friends wouldn't let you starve.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Rebel Prepping

Post by Rebel Prepping »

Arzosah wrote:Welcome to the forum. Wow, you managed to forage 3 weeks worth of food - tell me more!

I live near the coast and would go down to the shore once a week and get limpets and muscles. I foraged the whole time and used it to supplement my stored food rather than used all my stored food then moved to foraging. I also would go out every few days and harvest nettle, dandelion flowers, blackberries, plantain ,hawthorn berries and acorns. I was also able to get a few squirrels and rabbits with my air rifle.
Rebel Prepping

Post by Rebel Prepping »

Deeps wrote:Welcome to the forum, apart from being a student, what else are you prepping for ? ;)
Thank you. My main concern is economic unrest. The U.S dollar is in a massive bubble and the eurozone is stagnant. I have also been looking into meteor strikes as a hazard.
Rebel Prepping

Post by Rebel Prepping »

xplosiv1 wrote:hey welcome to the forum.

A months worth of food is good for most little hiccups that can occur, just out of interest what food did you forage?

surely your uni friends wouldn't let you starve.
No they wouldn't have let me starve though again it would have put me into debt as they would have needed the money back. Being as i am close to the coast i was able to get limpets and muscles fresh whenever i needed them. I also made a woodsman's salad using nettles, blackberries, dandelions, plantains and would get acorns and hawthorn berries as well. I got a few squirrels and rabbits with my air rifle as well.