Hi from Hertfordshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Outdoorsy

Hi from Hertfordshire

Post by Outdoorsy »

Greeting from East Herts. We recently moved into a house here, from a flat in London and now finally have some space to start prepping properly. Initially I'm prepping for the most likely scenarios, as I see them: car breakdown, bad weather, power cuts etc; but with global events looking more volatile, I'd like to start prepping for more serious events, like economic collapse, a flu pandemic and climate change. We've started with bottled water and I'm slowly building up our food store. I'm planning to build a pantry in the garage and rotate stock, but struggling with the 'store what you eat, eat what you store' mantra, because a lot of the long-life food isn't really on our daily menu (e.g. canned veg) :lol:

Anyway, I've been lurking in the forums for a few months and thought it was time to say ‘hi’. Already picked up loads of tips. 8-)
pseudonym

Re: Hi from Hertfordshire

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, we struggled with the 'store what you eat, eat what you store' philosophy. Have you looked into dehydrating, its not a perfect solution and it all depends on how long and for what you're prepping for. You can even dehydrate frozen veg and store it.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

Welcome
Outdoorsy

Post by Outdoorsy »

Thanks for the welcome all :)

Deeps - thanks for the tip, I've been looking into dehydrating, but never knew you could dehydrate frozen veg! We're vegetarian, so this could be a good option.

Next priority is water storage. We've only got around 40L of bottled water so far. Question is, what do you do with bottled water when it's nearing it's expiration date? Use and rotate?
I've been researching rainwater harvesting, which can be used to flush toilets and wash clothes.

The whole idea of self-sufficiency really appeals to me, and if you can reduce your outgoings in the process of prepping, that's a bonus in my book :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Water doesn't really go bad if you look after it, ie in a sealed container, preferably in the dark. In can leach some of the container though over a period of time. Basically I wouldn't get too bogged down with the date stamp on a bottle of water but do your research, we have a whole section on here dedicated to water for starters.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Hi and welcome
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

greetings :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2