Hello preppers

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Noddy65

Hello preppers

Post by Noddy65 »

I have been researching how to best prep for any shift situation for a while now and about to invest in an American canner even if nothing happens I’m chef trained and the whole pressure canning thing would also be like a hobby to me however the Masson jars and 2 part ring and lid is quite expensive I was wondering has anyone has success using uk made/branded preserving jars & one piece screw on lids for pressure canning ?
pseudonym

Re: Hello preppers

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Some use the Mason Jars which are from the USA, some the Kilner Jar which is the equivalent here in the UK.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, we've a few 'canners' on here, I'm sure you'll get some good advice.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

You can only really use the heavy duty preserving type jars such as Kilner, Mason, Ball, le Parfait, Bormioli or Weck. Ordinary jam jars are not strong enough to stand up to the canning process and often break under the pressure(pun intended) Same with the lids, the two piece lids are a safeguard, meaning if you have a canning failure and the jar does not seal, you know about it as the disc or glass lid releases, you would not have this safeguard with a twist off lid.
Sadly, in the UK you just have to accept you will pay stupid money for jars.

This is considered the definitive guide to safe canning and explains things far better than me.

http://www.healthycanning.com/wp-conten ... vision.pdf

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon