Hello - Researcher interested in prepping

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
GPS

Re: Hello - Researcher interested in prepping

Post by GPS »

I think there is a minimum number of posts before you can use the message system.

I'll give it a go, I've sent an email to your account.[/quote]

Yes, I can't send private messages
GPS

Post by GPS »

Brambles wrote:
oldman wrote:
GPS wrote:Just one last thing. If anyone is interested in doing an interview (via phone, skype, e-mail, in person) please let me know - *email address removed by moderator*

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Hopefully they will be as nice to me in the other sections of the forum!
I think there is a minimum number of posts before you can use the message system.

I'll give it a go, I've sent an email to your account.
Which is why I suggested starting a thread on the forums as posts in the new members section do not count towards your 10 posts.
Will do
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GPS wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I've been offline for 24 hours and look at this :lol:

Actually, the thread is pretty realistic when it come to real life prepping and real life UK preppers :mrgreen:

Accepting that it *does* actually need to be dragged slightly back on-topic (I'm rubbish at the humour, I'm the one that sits back and applauds) then my questions are addressed to Gary, the OP/GPS:
- is any of your other work online? Can you post a link if so?
- what's the provisional title of your research?
- who does your ethical reviews? Is that from part of the university, or the academic journal where you want it to be published?
- do you have a draft of a questionnaire that you're going to send out, or will your interviews be more ad hoc?
- when you say in your first post that you'd be interested in people's experiences, do you mean the experiences that got people into prepping, or experiences of using preps, or both?
- if a participant decides to withhold permission for their material to be used, how do you deal with that (again, I'm reading from your first post)?

The one thing I'd like to say here, is please don't underestimate us. It happens a lot, and it's another reason for distrust towards both journalists and academics.
I also have reservations as to how this 'data' is actually going to be quantifiable in a meaningful way. Because, at the end of the day, if you distil prepping down to its core essence, it really is as simple as 'we have a lot of stuff, we learn and develop knowledge and skills and we keep a keen eye on the news'.

That's what I do, at least!
I suppose we come into the research with the idea that explaining prepping can't be 'quanitified' as there are so many different experiences of it so we would look to explore some key themes and see how they can contribute to our understanding of things like risk, community etc.
Well, the way you've completely ignored the detailed questions I asked, and carried on asking your own questions, says a great deal in my book - that you may well ignore the concerns of your interviewees when it suits you. However, I'm always willing to give people a chance - you may have forgotten these were here, for instance. Do you want to answer them?

Your last post on this thread was only half an hour ago or so, and even if you've started the new thread, it won't have automatically got permission to go online from one of the (volunteer) mods yet, so I'm carrying on with this thread for now.
GPS

Post by GPS »

Well, the way you've completely ignored the detailed questions I asked, and carried on asking your own questions, says a great deal in my book - that you may well ignore the concerns of your interviewees when it suits you. However, I'm always willing to give people a chance - you may have forgotten these were here, for instance. Do you want to answer them?
[/quote]

I did respond to these questions but the post kept getting an error message (for reasons I am not sure of - probably too long or I was responding to too many quotes) As a consequence I actually e-mailed the blog post you have a link to below each of your posts directly with answers to your questions.

- is any of your other work online? Can you post a link if so?

Most of the stuff I have online is under a pay wall or requires a university account to access (most academic journals are like this). Goggle my university page to see what you can access. If you want to read anything in particular let me know and I will send it on.

- what's the provisional title of your research?
No title yet as it is an exploratory research project.

- who does your ethical reviews? Is that from part of the university, or the academic journal where you want it to be published?
The university does an ethical review and an academic journal would look for assurance that it research has been conducted ethically.

- do you have a draft of a questionnaire that you're going to send out, or will your interviews be more ad hoc?
I do semi-structured interviews with participants so yes more ad hoc.

- when you say in your first post that you'd be interested in people's experiences, do you mean the experiences that got people into prepping, or experiences of using preps, or both?
Yes, interested in all experiences of prepping

- if a participant decides to withhold permission for their material to be used, how do you deal with that (again, I'm reading from your first post)?
I respect that decision completely and make sure I don't use any of it in any dissemination of my work
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your fast reply. I'm trying to trace the email you sent ... it hasn't appeared on the blog as a comment to be approved, and it hasn't appeared on either of the email accounts associated with the blog (I'm in the process of switching, so had to check both). Inboxes, spam and accidentally deleted - it's not in either of them.

Working on it.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I am now locking this thread as it seems to have spilled over into an entirely different subject rather than an intro.

Please make any further responses in the thread GPS has started here:- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14949

Thanks.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon