Hello - Researcher interested in prepping

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
itsybitsy

Re: Hello - Researcher interested in prepping

Post by itsybitsy »

Arzosah wrote:I've been offline for 24 hours and look at this :lol:

Actually, the thread is pretty realistic when it come to real life prepping and real life UK preppers :mrgreen:

Accepting that it *does* actually need to be dragged slightly back on-topic (I'm rubbish at the humour, I'm the one that sits back and applauds) then my questions are addressed to Gary, the OP/GPS:
- is any of your other work online? Can you post a link if so?
- what's the provisional title of your research?
- who does your ethical reviews? Is that from part of the university, or the academic journal where you want it to be published?
- do you have a draft of a questionnaire that you're going to send out, or will your interviews be more ad hoc?
- when you say in your first post that you'd be interested in people's experiences, do you mean the experiences that got people into prepping, or experiences of using preps, or both?
- if a participant decides to withhold permission for their material to be used, how do you deal with that (again, I'm reading from your first post)?

The one thing I'd like to say here, is please don't underestimate us. It happens a lot, and it's another reason for distrust towards both journalists and academics.
I also have reservations as to how this 'data' is actually going to be quantifiable in a meaningful way. Because, at the end of the day, if you distil prepping down to its core essence, it really is as simple as 'we have a lot of stuff, we learn and develop knowledge and skills and we keep a keen eye on the news'.

That's what I do, at least!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

itsybitsy wrote:I also have reservations as to how this 'data' is actually going to be quantifiable in a meaningful way.
Exactly! Thats been a red line with previous researchers.
Because, at the end of the day, if you distil prepping down to its core essence, it really is as simple as 'we have a lot of stuff, we learn and develop knowledge and skills and we keep a keen eye on the news'.

That's excellent :D
GPS

Post by GPS »

itsybitsy wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I've been offline for 24 hours and look at this :lol:

Actually, the thread is pretty realistic when it come to real life prepping and real life UK preppers :mrgreen:

Accepting that it *does* actually need to be dragged slightly back on-topic (I'm rubbish at the humour, I'm the one that sits back and applauds) then my questions are addressed to Gary, the OP/GPS:
- is any of your other work online? Can you post a link if so?
- what's the provisional title of your research?
- who does your ethical reviews? Is that from part of the university, or the academic journal where you want it to be published?
- do you have a draft of a questionnaire that you're going to send out, or will your interviews be more ad hoc?
- when you say in your first post that you'd be interested in people's experiences, do you mean the experiences that got people into prepping, or experiences of using preps, or both?
- if a participant decides to withhold permission for their material to be used, how do you deal with that (again, I'm reading from your first post)?

The one thing I'd like to say here, is please don't underestimate us. It happens a lot, and it's another reason for distrust towards both journalists and academics.
I also have reservations as to how this 'data' is actually going to be quantifiable in a meaningful way. Because, at the end of the day, if you distil prepping down to its core essence, it really is as simple as 'we have a lot of stuff, we learn and develop knowledge and skills and we keep a keen eye on the news'.

I suppose we come into the research with the idea that explaining prepping can't be 'quanitified' as there are so many different experiences of it so we would look to explore some key themes and see how they can contribute to our understanding of things like risk, community etc.
GPS

Post by GPS »

Hi,

For some reason I keep getting an error message when trying to reply to certain posts. Any idea why?
GPS

Post by GPS »

Arzosah wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:I also have reservations as to how this 'data' is actually going to be quantifiable in a meaningful way.

Have you had many requests from other researchers out of curiosity?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

GPS wrote:
Arzosah wrote:

Have you had many requests from other researchers out of curiosity?
We've had requests from TV crews, students, journalists, documentary makers - you name it, we've had it. They usually get the heave-ho pretty quickly when we find out that they generally want us to either a) be gun-toting Rambo types whom they can use to back up their stereotypical viewpoints of prepping or, b) want to trawl this forum to plagiarise it and use it for their own ends.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

You beat me to it itsy, I had just written something very similar.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

GPS wrote:Hi,

For some reason I keep getting an error message when trying to reply to certain posts. Any idea why?

If there are already more than two quotes in the post you cannot quote it in your post.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
GPS

Post by GPS »

We've had requests from TV crews, students, journalists, documentary makers - you name it, we've had it. They usually get the heave-ho pretty quickly when we find out that they generally want us to either a) be gun-toting Rambo types whom they can use to back up their stereotypical viewpoints of prepping or, b) want to trawl this forum to plagiarise it and use it for their own ends.
Wow! Well, as I have said previously, I am only interested in presenting a fair and balanced view of your experiences and any data we do collect/use is only with the permission of the participants. When you say they have 'plagiarised' the forums for 'their own ends', do you mean that they reprinted these forums in their documentaries/newspaper stories etc. without your permission?

Also, since we are on the subject, I was wondering if you think there has been any improvement in how prepping has been portrayed in the mainstream media over the last few years? Does the mis-representation that a few of you talked about regarding journos etc. make you reluctant to talk about it or use the term 'prepper' outside forums like this?
GPS

Post by GPS »

Brambles wrote:
GPS wrote:Hi,

If there are already more than two quotes in the post you cannot quote it in your post.
Thanks. I knew it was something to do with my stupidity