Hi all, newbie from swansea

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Welshwiz11

Re: Hi all, newbie from swansea

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Way things are going at the moment I’ll be looking at that shipping container sooner rather than later! Lol
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum :) just popping in to second what Deeps is saying, the whole thing about getting ready for the minor stuff while researching the worse, medium/longer term stuff. You *have* to have water and food and warmth/shelter, for any emergency. You can research meanwhile the lizards/zombies/killer aliens/planet killer meteorites/nuclear war, all very :tinfoil

We've also been having discussions on fitness and mental health recently. Pandemic? As a medical person, what do you think? Always interesting to get the professional viewpoint.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Interesting that you should ask to be honest, that’s something I’ve always thought about. Closest we have really had was the whole bird flu episode. I dread to think how we would deal with a major outbreak here in their tbh.guess we are lucky in wales with the geography, anybody with a bit of sense would take to hills. I really don’t see what we can do to prep for a full scale outbreak other than the usual prep stuff.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Hi Wiz, as a relative newbie here too I found just getting a couple of weeks food in for the family (just by picking up a couple of cans of food/rice etc every time i set foot in tesco's for beer), it settled that sort of low grade unease that had been lingering. Thankfully already had a lot of outdoorsy cooking/fire building/water supply type stuff so now its a much more relaxed longer term approach like getting spares for the chainsaw to ensure I can keep that running to heat the house, that sort of thing.
I've found this forum very reassuring and as others have said, work out what'll work for you, not what's in a survival book or more extreme forum (unless of course that is what'll work for you! ;) )
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Pandemic is very high on the government's own list of Big Problems:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 17-edition

As for taking to the hills during a pandemic ... you have so little control over your boundaries/your territory, and you're so vulnerable to accident or even ordinary illness, let alone the pandemic itself, plus the weather - I reckon the mortality rate of those who tried to do that in the UK would be very, very high.

As to what you might do, it depends on what you call the 'usual prep stuff' :mrgreen: I've had some fun brainstorming and researching possible solutions :mrgreen: as Deeps also said, there's a hobby element to all this.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Defiant time to sink that shipping container in the back garden!!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welshwiz11 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 pm Defiant time to sink that shipping container in the back garden!!
Will it be pre-filled with lots of 'shiny shiny' from China or will you be slowly filling it as you go ???? :lol:
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

To be honest every time I mention a shipping container the Mrs just wants the roof sliced off and turn it into a swimming pool!!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welshwiz11 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 pm To be honest every time I mention a shipping container the Mrs just wants the roof sliced off and turn it into a swimming pool!!
A hoofing big water store wouldn't be a bad thing either mate. ;)
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

This is true, I’ve heard of these swimming pools that are used as water storage and then purified with uv. It does my nut in that I have to pay for something that falls from the air free!!