Hi all, newbie from swansea

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Welshwiz11

Hi all, newbie from swansea

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Hi there all, just thought I better wright a little intro.
I'm Wiz and I'm a 36 year medical professional based in swansea, I live on the gower which is fantastic rural location on the coast. Basically prepping is something I've always had a slight interest in and with everything that's going on in the world I've taken a keener interest. Basically I'm looking to get properly started and supplement my already growing collection of equipment etc,,
Hope to make a few friends and really hope I don't make too many mistakes, sorry in advance !!
Cheers folks Wiz
Deeps

Re: Hi all, newbie from swansea

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum Wiz, what kind of things are you prepping for ? As for the mistakes, we've all made them, the classic is trying to do it all in a oner, figure out what YOUR priorities are and work to them, there are some universals, water, shelter and food being your basics. Enjoy it too, despite what some think, there's a hobby side to prepping, we do it because we want to.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Hi Deeps
Thanks for the reply, I guess it's basically for the potential for the breakdown in society from the fall out from an economic crash. Already looking at some physical gold as an investment instead of cash in the banks. I'm also very concerned about NK and the general direction the world is going with "terrorist" related nonsense!! Basic grab bag is being put together from purchases and stuff I already own. I have been looking at a woodland to purchase but prices are a little crazy where I live. I am now looking at potential areas in woodland and common land
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Hi there thanks for the welcome
Raided my pharmacy today to build a comprehensive first aid kit!
Awaiting kit to arrive from internet gotta start somewhere.
I've been doing some research for potential BOL on google earth and local knowledge. Got a bit of list now that needs boots on the ground to check stuff out
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welshwiz11 wrote:Hi there thanks for the welcome
Raided my pharmacy today to build a comprehensive first aid kit!
Awaiting kit to arrive from internet gotta start somewhere.
I've been doing some research for potential BOL on google earth and local knowledge. Got a bit of list now that needs boots on the ground to check stuff out
We all prep for different things but don't get sucked into 'bug out locations' in the middle of nowhere or wherever. There's nothing wrong with having a good knowledge of what's around you but my 'bug out locations' for 99% of situations will be either a hotel or a friend/family's spare room. On the 1% stuff I'll figure it out as I go, within a few miles of my house I know quite a few places that I COULD set up a tent/shelter but I've not designated them 'super secret location numbers', I don't live in a particularly densely populated part of the UK but there's a good chance if you fancy a location then so will others who are escaping whatever doomsday scenario has driven you out.

Like I say, go and explore, its good fun but even if you bought a bit of land as your BOL, if things are that bad having the bit of paper to say its yours wouldn't make a bit of difference. Depending on the situation there might be plenty of empty buildings which would be better than being under canvas anyway. Just my tuppence worth, some like the idea of having somewhere picked out, if you've got other people that you intend to meet up with then some kind of muster point might be essential.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Thanks Deeps.
Still putting ideas through the planning stage at the moment and working out what best suits.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welshwiz11 wrote:Thanks Deeps.
Still putting ideas through the planning stage at the moment and working out what best suits.
I get it, when you have your epiphany and you realise that you're a prepper you want to sort everything out NOW. At least I did, honestly, its worth dwelling a couple of marching paces and figuring out what it is YOU are prepping for and can realistically manage, While you're looking at all the gucci stuff start with the basics, water, food that will keep (and something to cook it on) and warm gear so that if the more likely 'disasters' like losing the lecky can be dealt with, if you like the idea of getting out to the wilds then go and do it, and test your gear and knowledge (and fitness). Prepping is such a broad subject that there will be aspects that just don't resonate with you, at least now, and some that never will, take your time, if you get a weeks worth of food, water and the bits and bobs (torches, stove(s), spare batteries and first aid gear) then you're streets ahead of 90% of the population, then just build from there, if you go on youtube and look at some of the kit 'show and tells', there will always be people who pick holes in other peoples gear, not because they're being dicks but because we all have different views and priorities. I'm quietly pleased with me EDC at the moment but I can guarantee that it won't suit others.

Smash the basics in as a priority and take your time on the other stuff, there's always a 'shiny' out there that catches your eye, make sure its the right 'shiny' for you. This is the best advice I can give you mate, take your time.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

Cheers for the wisdom fella.
Getting the basics together and then going from there! Haven't sunk a shipping container in the garden just yet!! Ha ha
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welshwiz11 wrote:Cheers for the wisdom fella.
Getting the basics together and then going from there! Haven't sunk a shipping container in the garden just yet!! Ha ha
:lol:
The UKP brain trust have even debated the benefits (or not) of the shipping containers, have a rummage.

Not sure if its wisdom or just my take, others will see it differently, pick the bits that suit you and discard the stuff that doesn't work for you. There are plenty of preppers on a totally different page to me, at the risk of being a big old hippy, follow your own path.... man.