Hi New Member from London

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Abagorth

Hi New Member from London

Post by Abagorth »

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the site for a little while now and thought it was time to register.

I found my way here by searching for what I should have in my car of emergency situations (I'm shortly starting a 6 month temp posting with my current employer that will have me driving a 450 mile round trip each week).

Then I was was intrigued by EDC's and realized that having a back up supply of food/water/heat etc at home isn't a bad idea either (space is an issue).

I'm not really prepping for anything beyond a 3 day back up in case of a power cut etc. at the moment that together with sorting out a car kit and a minimal EDC is plenty to be getting on with.

I'm in my mid 40's, divorced from just outside London (Surrey side).

regards,

Abagorth
pseudonym

Re: Hi New Member from London

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Hi Abagorth,

I'm in the same area of London, also preping for a power cut, etc.

Welcome.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome.If you have a three day supply of basics,then you are already ahead of the pack.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, there's no 'right' way to prep, there's a right for you though. Good luck with it, plenty of advice on here and don't be shy if you have any questions.
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Thank you for the welcome.

I have not got 3 days worth of stores in at the moment, still in the exploratory stage.

No point in stocking food a don't like, so buying stuff and testing it, then I'll stock up.

Abagorth
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Welcome, hope you find what you're looking for, the search function is pretty efficient and you have many years' worth of posts and experience to pick from. :) Like Deeps said, any questions please post them, someone here is bound to be able to help and you may help someone along the way.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, Abagorth! Sounds good - one prep you could do right now is buy a few of those 2 litre water bottles, any supermarket own brand, they cost about 20p each - if you get a water main burst, you've got the situation well in hand. Do you have a torch or two? Any power cut after sunset will see you wanting a torch, just to get round the house safely.

Great idea to prep your car in case of problems on that long round trip, there's a lot of options on here that are discussed.
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Thanks Brambles, I have been reading a lot of posts over the last week.

Arzosah, I got some water, figured taste testing was a waste of time there :D

I have a fair bit of camping gear, got a few torches, lanterns etc. which will be useful, sorting thorough all that stuff atm, to see what I can use for the car kit.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I don't know how much gear you're planning on putting into your car kit, but one piece of advice I will offer is to try and keep it multifunctional.
Using some of the stuff I carry as an example, I don't carry a tent, I have cheap poly tarps, they cost very little and although they're heavier than a camping tarp they're stronger and a lot cheaper so I can use them for a shelter if I need to and also line the back of my truck if I need to, I have two in there, one good one, and one I ripped a little bit picking up a roadkill deer, I wouldn't want to do that with a nice camping tarp and with a little tape it will still form part of a shelter happily.
I also don't carry a sleeping bag, I have army surplus wool blankets, sleeping bags are lighter but I wouldn't want to wrap a piece of furniture in one, the blankets survive it fine and just need a wash.

Add a spare pair of comfy shoes or boots and some socks, I don't know what you wear for work but it's not always suitable for walking in, or you could get them soaked, having wet feet is pretty miserable.
Make sure you have plenty of gaffer tape in there too, it's incredibly useful stuff.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.