Hello everybody, what's your thoughts?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Peppypreppy

Hello everybody, what's your thoughts?

Post by Peppypreppy »

Hello prepper world, I am a young man who has recently went off travelling SE Asia. During my time away I was made truly aware of how different life can be in other places and it got me thinking. I then imagined a scenario where I would be forced to change the way I live back home due to unforseen events and I have now learned the importance of prepping as an "insurance" if you will should something disrupt normal daily routine for a given period of time.

I would like to hear different people's opinions about prepping in general and also specifically in the UK, I know we are not prone to crazy natural disasters such as hurricanes but maybe the experienced community can shed light on the things we should all be aware of in the UK.

-Pep
---PeppyPreppy
jansman

Re: Hello everybody, what's your thoughts?

Post by jansman »

Welcome. Join in the forum and you will find out.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Hi mate. Prepper insurance is a concept discussed on TheUrbanPreppers channel on youtube. That guy is nuts but he's not daft. Get on it.

Personally, I have flipped and flopped over the prepper mentality over the years and now I've decided that it will probably continue to flip and flop. Sometimes I want to spend money and buy stuff, other times I think I'm best going on courses and learning things, or saving and making money.

Just take the whole subject with a pinch of salt I think, make your own mind up. Decide what's right for you in the circumstances you may realistically face.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Peppypreppy

Post by Peppypreppy »

I will check out that channel, thanks DangerMan. I can understand how it could be hard to keep preparing when you never know if anything will come. I think for myself because I am into gardening/horticulture most of my prepping will consist of being self reliant after initial food stocks are depleted.
My concerns for a national or global disaster would be some sort of economical break down where money holds little value or a novel disease that spreads quicker than it can be eradicated. As long as I have seed bearing fruits I think I'd make it Chin up :D
---PeppyPreppy
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, there's a few of us in Scotland on here, have a read through and see what catches your eye, there's some stuff on here you'll think is a bit 'out there' and some stuff that will resonate with you, hoist in the good stuff. As Dangerman says, there's no right or wrong way to prep although there will be a right way for you.
Peppypreppy

Post by Peppypreppy »

Hello Deeps, yeah I have seen some of the more far out predictions, I recently seen somebody mention that even a job loss which is extremely common could be helped by storing away food to keep costs down. Lucky for us in Scotland we get the freshest of water free :D
---PeppyPreppy
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Peppypreppy wrote:Hello Deeps, yeah I have seen some of the more far out predictions, I recently seen somebody mention that even a job loss which is extremely common could be helped by storing away food to keep costs down. Lucky for us in Scotland we get the freshest of water free :D
For a job loss (loss of income) having some food put by could be useful, its one less expense, especially if you are the main provider and have other mouths to feed.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yes prepping is merely insurance, the worst case scenarios may enter our minds, but they make for better debate than they are likely to effect us collectively, so it is the day to day things, and the more mundane calamity most of us really want to be on the right side of, when you've seen a little old lady in obvious pain doing what looks like dancing on the spot because she's ran out of toilet paper and had to pick up her granddaughter from school before getting to a shop, you think I'm glad we don't let things get that way, by which I mean unprepared, years before the title was coined, probably from the experience of having WW2 surviving parents who lived through rationing, then the strikes of the 70's, many of us more discovered we are preppers than decided to become one :lol:

Many people prep around other interests like cooking, ham radio, gardening, foraging, DIY, and of course shooting sports, I have to admit asides from owning a set of walkie talkies I haven't ventured far into comms, I have no garden, and can't get out much, so foraging whilst I have a strong interest in ( as with a lot of outdoor activities) cannot do, so play to your interests and strengths ;) There's little point for instance to aiming for a cash fall back fund if you've got bugger all, as we've said before the way things are likely to go you'll get a better return on tinned food than money in the bank :lol: and play to your interests, knowledge and experience is more valuable than stuff, but if you like outdoor activities and it looks like you do, why not pursue a little in that direction? Just don't forget the bog roll ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.