Hello from Mongolia

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Keith Taylor

Hello from Mongolia

Post by Keith Taylor »

Hi from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (formerly Manchester) :)

I'm joining the site because:

A) The idea of prepping fascinates me, and the fact that I move around every six months and have to fit my life into an airline luggage allowance means that I can only enjoy it vicariously, and

B) I'm an author of post-apocalyptic fiction, and (I know this sounds cynical) prepping forums are a great place to build buzz for novels about zombies and such tearing the world to pieces :)
Deeps

Re: Hello from Mongolia

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! I sneaked a peek on goodreads, and you may also know that you're an MEP for south east England in your spare time :mrgreen: http://www.keithtaylormep.org.uk/

We all need to know what its like to be a prepper of any kind whatsoever in Ulanbataar :)
Keith Taylor

Post by Keith Taylor »

Arzosah wrote:Welcome to the forum! I sneaked a peek on goodreads, and you may also know that you're an MEP for south east England in your spare time :mrgreen: http://www.keithtaylormep.org.uk/

We all need to know what its like to be a prepper of any kind whatsoever in Ulanbataar :)
Ha! Yeah, I'm often confused for him when I'm arguing about politics on the Guardian comment threads :P

Everyone's a prepper of sorts here in Mongolia, because most people outside Ulaanbaatar live a week's walk from the nearest shop and there are hardly any roads to speak of. It's the most sparsely populated planet in the world so you'd face little danger from the neighbours. The trick here is just to build up your cattle herd, site your ger (yurt) somewhere you can dig a well, store food for your cattle to last the long winter and learn to love the smell of the dung you'll need to burn to stay warm, because there are bugger all trees :P
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Fascinating! I've seen a few documentaries of that sort of area (nomads in the countries that now occupy the old Silk Road route, I think) - it looks a *very* hard life.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Can you link us to your post apocalyptic fiction?If you are out there,in Mongolia,and on UK Preppers,where is the relevance? What are you prepping for?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Good mobile & internet signal in Ulanbator then? And a wee bit parky in the mornings, hope yer a good knitter.. :twisted:
kevprep85

Post by kevprep85 »

hello from manchester :D
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.