Dipping my toe in, to the preping world

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
John_conner

Dipping my toe in, to the preping world

Post by John_conner »

Hi people, I'm very new to all this, I'm just now beginning to dip my toe into preping, as I can see the way the world is heading, with the likes of North Korea etc acting up.

I'm from Suffolk here in the uk, I have a some outdoors training that I received via the Territorial Army over several years, I would say that my main skill sets would be Archery/Hunting, shelter building and CQC.

I have been doing a lot of research and reading on the subject, while working on my bugout bag etc etc
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Dipping my toe in, to the preping world

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Where you going to "bug out" too as half the UK will probably join you in the hills / national parks / lowlands.

Before you start spending. Pack yourself a overnight bag as if your off on a weekend break.....

(Bingo) without spending a penny you have a bag to live from should you get evacuated due to flooding / gas leak / nutter down the road playing with chemicals trying to make his own fireworks.... And you end up in a hotel / council sports hall

Now add to that bag copies of your insurance policy a phone charger and a small camproll and sleeping bag

Your 99% more prepared than most of the UK ;)

Add another bag of camping stuff and your 2 bags let you slum it if needs be...

The fantasy's of running to your little quiet undisturbed bit of countyside will is most cases just that... Rather a bed on a aunty's living room floor 10 miles from home will be more likely
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
John_conner

Post by John_conner »

Hi
I already have all my old TA gear, along with a roll up tent etc neatly packed in my Bergen, full soldier 95 set with cold weather gear, boot liners. some MREs etc etc ready to go so if I knew I had to slum it I would grab that and go. As for a bag such as you advise, I had not thought of that, I shall put one together asap, I guess my first thought was worst case rather than a more minor issue.

The aunties floor is unlikely as most of my family is in the same area apart from one or too, and I would much rather go camp for a few days than go to a sports centre with a tone of people, I really am not a people person at all.

I will also find a wind up phone charger, as that would be very useful for my gps unit as well.

I don't think I would head to the areas that you said, if the worst came to the worst, I would head away from the easy to live places like country parks, camp sites and head out to places that most townies would be either to soft or lack the experience to go, such as isolated areas in the forests, or may be make my way north into the highlands. I have spent time on in these places and I can tell you that in some places just moveing from A-B can be a challenge at times with the uk weather. Yes I realise that the chance of things getting bad enough to need to do this is very slim.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, I'll echo what Andy says on the more mundane stuff. Personally I don't have a 'BOB' ready to go, if I felt the need I could put a few together at fairly short notice. While things like youtube are great for inspiration, we'll all have our own different requirements. Its worth bearing in mind what Andy says about 'running to the hills', you still have the potential problems of getting there, unless you are getting the heads up before the masses you'll be caught in the same traffic jams etc as everyone else. Then if and when you get there how are you going to feed yourself after you've eaten your ratpacks ?

Start with the simple things you can do, make sure you have water, extra food and something to cook with (camping stove or whatever), meds, torches, batteries etc. so that if something does occur to the basic infrastructure you can cope, no lecky or gas, no problem, cash points not working, no problem.... These scenarios are more likely than having to run away to the hills and even then still unlikely for any length of time but why we prep.

Whatever works for you though mate.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.