New Prepper, some past experience.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
TheMach

New Prepper, some past experience.

Post by TheMach »

So, the wife and I have finally decide to get our shit together and start prepping. Not too sure how far wqe are going to take this, but we dont do things on a small scale really lol.

We are looking at prepping mainly for civil unrest due to one of the many different things that can cause it, war, disease, nukes, whatever. We intend to be fully functional off the grid, and be able to live, in the wilderness, should all hope of humanity break down lol.

We all sound mental, tin foil hat wearing crazy **** lol. But this has to be done, count it as an insurance policy. his will all be kept top secret and kept between us guys here, and my wife, possibly the kids as they get older. But loose lips sink ships.

We are pretty much brand new to this, i have some survival experience from my younger days when i was an army cadet and did a lot of camping and survival training. I also have firearm experience because of it and will be looking at getting a shot gun and fire arm license soon.

Any advice at all, would be greatly appreciated. this is my first time on the site and it would be good to know how active the community is.

First off, who can help me out by giving me a list of things im definitely going to need as a basic store for my preps, what foods, torches, string, basic camping equipment, any ideas, just let me know, im all ears.
pseudonym

Re: New Prepper, some past experience.

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Welcome to the forum, TheMach,

I definitely think getting a shotgun is a good idea (shooting clays is great fun) and would suggest you go one further and apply for your FAC (Firearms Certificate) at the same time as that is also a good sport to get into. Just be careful when discussing firearms on the forums as discussing anything illegal can land you into trouble with the moderators, but discussing how to legally obtain and the proper use of firearms should be fine.

In terms of preps though I think it would be a good idea to focus on the more essential items first such as food and water. They say you should bargain for 1 gallon of water per day per person (drinking/cleaning/cooking) and 2500 calories of food. so far I have 21 gallons or just over 100L stored and I'm going to be installing a 210L water butt rain catchment system soon, to go along with my fortnights worth of food.

A good thing to remember is what I like to call the rules of 3.

3 Minutes without air (decent gas mask)
3 hours without shelter (poor conditions)
3 days without water
30 days without food.

When you think of it like that it puts everything into perspective.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find someone here who can answer your questions, I've ever been let down when looking for help. I suggest you start with extra supplies of what you already eat and use. No point in having a ton of pasta or rice if you hate the stuff.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, as has been said, start with the basics, water food and something to cook on. Other concerns are shelter and meds/FAK (first aid kit). I think a lot of us have tried to do it all in a oner and it doesn't really work, figure out what YOUR priorities are, not mine, not some dude on youtube but what YOUR situation is. Have a look through the threads on here, a lot of the subjects have been discussed already, the search function can be handy, there are other places like youtube too but its easy to get carried away and go "oh, I want one of those". There's no 'one size fits all' when it comes to prepping but do your research and try and enjoy it, there's a hobby element to it as well. Good luck.
unsure

Post by unsure »

all so worth bearing in mind , if you store the likes of packet mash or even pot noodle they do use more water than you think , same goes with pasta and rice . you would need to factor that in to you water stores as well .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
TheMach

Post by TheMach »

Thanks for the input guys. First off, im looking at making my home safe for at least a 2 week stay. Im going to get 24 hour ration packs the army use, i need about 70 of them to last my family 2 weeks. Ill have other non perishables too of course, but this is the bare minimum i want, to make sure i feel as if we have enough, the main issue will be water storage. i need about 100 gallons! thats a lot of space to find, i would prefer to store it inside to prevent contamination, and the fact i wont want to leave the house, in case of the SHTF.

What would you guys suggest for storing this amount of water?
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Water storage for bulk amounts use IBCs they're about a 1000l, will weigh over 1000kg when full so reslly needs to go on a solid concrete base.

It rains a lot in the UK though so food is probably more important than water as long as you have some way to purify it.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

TheMach wrote:Thanks for the input guys. First off, im looking at making my home safe for at least a 2 week stay. Im going to get 24 hour ration packs the army use, i need about 70 of them to last my family 2 weeks.
Welcome to the forums :) Excellent re: the security of your home. If you and your family aren't used to eating the ration packs, make sure you all try them before you need them. ALL of the menus! My Dad and I have occasional TEOTWAWKI days where we (amongst other things) boil water using the Gillie Kettle and make up a couple of the various freeze-dried meals we have. We're usually ok with most of them, but we've discovered the odd one that doesn't agree with one of us. Nothing like spending the next day on the loo with gripping bowel pains to make you think "Ooh...glad I tried that one BEFORE the proverbial hit the fan!" :o Mental note to self: don't stock that one!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

For water storage *inside* the house - be wary of leaks. Plenty of people store water in those 5 litre containers available from supermarkets - I'm wary of them long term, I use the 2 litre bottles inside. I also have a small amount of space in the pedestals under chests of drawers, that can't be seen when you're in the room - they only take 500ml bottles, but its no bad thing to have 10 litres or so stored in those sorts of bottles.