Hello Everyone

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
oldman

Hello Everyone

Post by oldman »

After living through a childhood threat of nuclear war in the sixties I've always been a prepper.

I'm preped for the 'zombie apocalypse', yes, I know it makes me sound like a nut but it is a good cover all for everything that could go wrong in life. I even prep for my cats by making sure there is food for them in case I can't get back home because of an emergency and in my 59 years I've had my fair share of emergencies.

As I a carer for two disabled people I don't have the option to 'bug out' and live in the woods now so I'm working more towards the option of working with the local community to deal with any future problems and as a result I'm here to network with other like minded individuals and groups to develop ideas and skills for the future.

A big hug to everyone who is getting ready for things we hope are never going to happen.

:)
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
Britcit

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by Britcit »

Welcome Oldman .
Bugging in , for most, is probably the better option.
That being said, as a carer for 2 disabled people, do you have a bugout/escape plan just in case?

Enjoy the forum, there is loads of good info here.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! Yes, quoting the zombie apocalypse is a good way to derail conversations into a bit of a laugh, but since you're a carer, it's potentially serious for you.

Have you looked at the Environment Agency maps for your area? Are you in any flooding danger? And the other most common thing is a house fire, which will definitely require bugging out.

You're definitely right that building links with the local community is a good way to go.

With this community too :) :) :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome, now we just need to sort out what kind of zombies you're prepping for, the slow 'old skool' ones or the fast World War Zed types. :lol:

I hope you find this place useful, its been a treasure trove of info for me. Have a rummage through some of the threads that catch your eye, that's what I started doing and then taking notes of things that appealed.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Hello mate and welcome, from another newbie and ex-londoner ;)

Work the search function and start reading from the back and you will find most things, other than that, dive in and enjoy :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Welcome!
I look forward to your forum posts'.
I am (currently) in the mindset of my family and I against the world.
Over time I wonder if my mindset will change.
I am quite friendly with the neighbour's but I cannot imagine taking food out of my family's mouth to put into someone else's.
MM
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
oldman

Post by oldman »

Britcit wrote:Bugging in , for most, is probably the better option.
That being said, as a carer for 2 disabled people, do you have a bugout/escape plan just in case?
I've an escape plan for me but I'm going to have to leave the other two behind. Of course, I'll shoot them in the head before I go to make sure that they don't "turn". (thinking about it, as it is the wife and mother-in-law I may just shoot them anyway. :) )
Arzosah wrote:Have you looked at the Environment Agency maps for your area? Are you in any flooding danger? And the other most common thing is a house fire, which will definitely require bugging out.
No chance of flooding as I was already aware of "Global Warming", as it was called back then, when I bought my house so it's on a hill (Unlike my friend who paid loads more for a house in a posh area backing on to the Thames)

Fire is a low risk as there has to be someone here at all times as my mother-in-law has dementia. Also, because of the chance she may try cooking or just wander into the street we have a security system that also has smoke alarms. There is more of a risk that we will be evacuated for another reason though, gas leak, UXB, or other local event. In that case I'd just have to wing it and rely on my credit card.
Deeps wrote:Welcome, now we just need to sort out what kind of zombies you're prepping for, the slow 'old skool' ones or the fast World War Zed types. :lol:
Just the "old skool" ones, Deeps. I can't be doing with all that running around at my age.

All the best.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Welcome to the forum. There's loads here to make use of so dig in. The only zombies I'm prepping for are the 'I can't get a phone signal, has the world ended?' type. :D
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Hello and welcome! :)