Single Parent prepping on a low income

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
moggins

Re: Single Parent prepping on a low income

Post by moggins »

So many good words of advice here, I didn't ask why he thought it would need lining for a woodburner, I think he said something about it being a more intense directed heat? The house is 200 years old so the chimney could be in poor shape.

Just had my portable toilet delivered. Never seen someone so excited about a toilet being delivered.

Yes, I did think the 17p for 2 litres was a good price, Aldi now have solar panels for charging car batteries in for £29.99. I'm hoping they still have some left when I pop in tomorrow.
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

I've been told that having a metal liner when using a woodburner is better as it heats up quicker and helps to draw the fire, (or something like that), so it maybe that there's nothing wrong with your chimney.

The best thing to do would be to check with the chimney sweep to verify what the problem is.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

moggins wrote:So many good words of advice here, I didn't ask why he thought it would need lining for a woodburner, I think he said something about it being a more intense directed heat? The house is 200 years old so the chimney could be in poor shape.

Just had my portable toilet delivered. Never seen someone so excited about a toilet being delivered.

Yes, I did think the 17p for 2 litres was a good price, Aldi now have solar panels for charging car batteries in for £29.99. I'm hoping they still have some left when I pop in tomorrow.
Make sure you check what wattage it is before you buy it. To charge batteries etc, you really need something at least 15W I have a feeling this could be a trickle charger which is OK for keeping a bettery topped up, but would take forever to charge one. HTH. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
shocker

Post by shocker »

Yes, definitely check. Theres a post earlier in the thread about the regs, which have tightened considerably in the last 10 years
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Moggins

Its a battery maintainer NOT a charger

https://www.aldi.co.uk/solar-battery-ma ... 4130462400

It only produces 3w which is naff all

Its intended to keep a battery in storage charged (when stored car / leisure battery loose charge...

For charging your looking at a minimum of a 30w charger for year round "light duty" charging such as powering a few chargers off a car / caravan battery

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/cat ... clips.html

Yes its more expensive but it WORKS! I power my shed with one it runs all the lighting / my 12v supply which I can charge my phone off or run my mains battery chargers for my tools only had to charge the battery off mains once over winter when I forgot my inverter was on and left it on all day......

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12046

Which overtime
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine