Student journalist looking to speak to some of you

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
shocker

Re: Student journalist looking to speak to some of you

Post by shocker »

Plymtom wrote: you don't see me on welcome threads very often firstly because it makes my activity seem too much "hello and welcome" to every newbie up to ten times a week would make me look far too important for my own liking :lol: secondly we do get the occasional plonker of varying types so I interact on input rather than introductions for the most part, as a long standing non mod who wants to preserve the spirit of the place
Sorry to cherry pick (again) Tom, I don't suppose that this was aimed at anyone in particular, but I have a reason that I post on the "welcome" thread. That is, I know that when I came here myself recently, it was with some trepidation. There are people here with huge post counts and long-time join dates. It was a bit overwhelming because on the whole fools are not treated gently, and I can come over as a bit of one at times (shouts of "surprise!" and "no! It cannot be so!" etc) when posting on forums.

So, I was glad of the friendly and open welcome I got on that thread, it made me feel that I was welcome and that people would accept my interaction and participation. And here I am, with all you long time guys, talking to me like you actually care and have some interest in what I say, foolish though it may be at times.

I understand what you mean Tom, I hope, but I for one will keep welcoming new members for a while yet and hope that they get the boost from it that I did. :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:Sorry to cherry pick (again) Tom, I don't suppose that this was aimed at anyone in particular, but I have a reason that I post on the "welcome" thread.
No mate there have been times I have and you were one of them, sometimes my gut says jump in ( I will explain no further it'll made me appear mad lol) the habit of not doing the welcome thing stems back to having been bitten in the backside many moons ago on a forum I was heavily involved in, so I'm cautious unless I sense something ;)
Actually even here once someone appeared here who was withing walking distance who turned out to be a long way off in terms of like mindedness and got himself banned pretty quickly.

As for how folk come across - I get concerned I may have trodden on toes unintentionally sometimes, we have to give people some rope, and do carry on welcoming people, I still make people feel at home I hope by interacting as if they've always been here :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I am the same Shocker, I like to post a welcome on the new members posts because it's good to welcome a lurker becoming a member and start posting. I'm only a newbie here myself and while learning fast I am an expert on nothing and I wouldn't want anyone to think otherwise. (In fact I've just added a disclaimer to the effect in my signature :D )
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

loving the 'love in'! :lol: :lol: :lol:
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

itsybitsy wrote:loving the 'love in'! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know what you mean <hug>
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

whenfires wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:loving the 'love in'! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know what you mean <hug>
Keep your hands above the belt!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
shocker

Post by shocker »

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! My mrs is listening ! :? :?

:lol: :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

I will talk to anyone who wishes to have a chat, providing they buy all the Cider.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea