Hi, New and dipping my toe to test the water. :)

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
BoggyStonehugger

Hi, New and dipping my toe to test the water. :)

Post by BoggyStonehugger »

Hi all.

Thought long and hard about what to say here. To be honest I still have no clue, or what I want or how to go about it.

I'm from North Devon, have had an interest in wild camping/bushcraft most of my life, although never really got into it in a heavily practical way.

Prepping has been on my radar for a long time, when I first came across it, to be honest, I thought that whatever is the need for this, in this day and age? -(Please don't shoot me down in flames, like I say, that was what I first thought.) -Now, I am of the opinion that the way the world is at the moment, for a million and one reasons, it is actually essential........

I have a young family, I seriously think I need to prep to the point of being able to bug in/out at a moments notice and I need to start. Although, to be honest I have no idea where. I have serious flaws in my knowledge, such as- Ok bug out, where the hell do I go, love the idea of wildcamp- woodlands, but I have no idea where I can go legally, or what rules and regulations are. How do I find woodlands that are suitable and legal to do so?

I have basic knowledge, yeah I used to be cub/scout leader, but in theory to be honest, and any practical skills I have ever learnt I don't class as useable unless I USE those skills and practise them.

One last thing, whatever I do will not be overnight anyway, as I have no spare cash, a young family and a bespoke woodworking business that is not paying for itself yet as it is early days. So whatever I do, I see this as taking me years to get to the stage where I can just be as prepared as I can.

Hoping people can point me in the right direction as to where to start at least. I am reading all I can, and watching as much as I can too.

Ta.

Boggy.
Deeps

Re: Hi, New and dipping my toe to test the water. :)

Post by Deeps »

Welcome Boggy, it sounds like you've come to the right place. There's all sorts of knowledge on here so have a nose round and see what catches your eye. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

Hello there Boggy, this is a great, helpful and friendly forum, you'll get a lot out of it - I think that even identifying the need to prep is a step up from the herds of the rest.

Prepping is I think multi dimensional and can tick plenty of boxes - I'm a general prepper (covering a multitude of reasons) - I learn a bit here n there, buy a few bits n bobs now and then, sort out things, get a bit more organised myself and tell my wife and daughter useful things i get from this site like being aware of current affairs, surroundings the weather etc.

Its sometimes a bit overwhelming so i break it down to bitesize chunks and every few months change what I'm up to or into, as long as Iv'e got a stash of food and water or ways to get it then I'm good with that as a minimum for at least a month -anything else is a bonus.

I'm a junkie for this site and pop in a few times a day to check Ive not missed anything new and generally keep my finger on the pulse. Best advice Iv'e had here from this site is don't panic, make lots of lists of things to do/buy and press pause on things frequently to evaluate and so i can have a cup of tea..

cheers and good luck..
BoggyStonehugger

Post by BoggyStonehugger »

Thanks guys.

Lets see what happens from here.

Boggy.
tigs

Post by tigs »

Welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8