Safe haven

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Silent witness

Safe haven

Post by Silent witness »

I was recommended to pop along to this forum by a likeminded friend. I am very grateful indeed as I feel like I have found a safe haven.

For many years I have harboured concerns about how fragile the appearance of our civilised society really is. I also mistrust the main stream media and prefer to discuss the news from a more balanced perspective.

My preps started in earnest about 2 years ago and I have managed to squirrel away a decent store of food, medicines, equipment and various other bits and pieces. I have learned a great deal yet am very aware that I can never know enough!

I dearly hope to learn from all of you and I will share my own limited knowledge where appropriate. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and I hope together we will be better prepared for whatever is coming our way.
Arzosah

Re: Safe haven

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome! Great intro, and I love the name! Tho, since you're posting at that time, I really hope you're a shift worker :shock:

What are you prepping for? I think you'll probably be with most peeps here, given your comment about the fragility of civilised society - a bad economic downturn that just goes on, that sort of thing.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Welcome to the forum.

Your concerns match mine really in that I became very aware of how fragile things felt like they were becoming. It's not just world events, it's how people and society have changed.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
lee3

Post by lee3 »

Welcome :D
I'm in area 1
Silent witness

Post by Silent witness »

Thanks Arzosah, in all honesty I was suffering from insomnia last night, not my usual MO to be up and about at such unsocial hours. You asked what I'm preparing for, it's not a quick answer which I'm sure is the case of many in this forum.

I started my preps simply for my family to be ok if there was a power cut or a bad snowstorm. However, for many years I have mistrusted the way that we as a society appear to be manipulated and lied to in order to subdivide us into smaller and smaller groups, who are encouraged to mistrust and envy anyone who falls outside the ever tightening boundaries of the group into which you happen to belong. I am deeply concerned by the biased and manipulative content found within the media and indeed general entertainment and documentaries. I have doubts that there is a huge conspiracy of a New World Order but I do feel deeply suspicious as to why we are being controlled and misdirected in such a large scale.

I also fear the stability of the global economy and let's face it things appear to be ever increasingly close to pretty alarming times, what with Oil prices, Chinese stock market woes, in fact general global stock market problems and the like. I am not an economist by any means but I do suspect that there are hard times ahead. The problems we face in the west are potentially dire, as the majority of us are accustomed to a consumer driven life of relative luxury. This coupled with the massive numbers of people living in a very limited space means that if things were to deteriorate it could get nasty very quickly and I would prefer to be out of the resulting chaos.

A further concern would be natural disasters. We are all guilty of thinking it will never happen to me. However, it does happen and it could happen at anytime. It's impossible to have every base covered but to have a palm in place and the resources available to mitigate most adverse conditions can only be a prudent safeguard.

I could go on and on, solar storms affecting the national grid, war and well the list keeps going and going as I'm sure it does for many others here. I'm trying to ba fairly general prepper, keeping it simple in stores and educating myself and my family in self sufficiency.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Great post, SW! Glad to have you aboard.

You're right about natural disasters too, actually - everybody knows about flooding, now, more or less, but even the government's own list of civil emergencies includes some interesting ones - like volcanic hazards, which I ended up doing a fair bit of research on. Keeping it general, as you say, is the best way to go for 99% of it all, I'm sure.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Silent witness wrote:Thanks Arzosah, in all honesty I was suffering from insomnia last night, not my usual MO to be up and about at such unsocial hours. You asked what I'm preparing for, it's not a quick answer which I'm sure is the case of many in this forum.

I started my preps simply for my family to be ok if there was a power cut or a bad snowstorm. However, for many years I have mistrusted the way that we as a society appear to be manipulated and lied to in order to subdivide us into smaller and smaller groups, who are encouraged to mistrust and envy anyone who falls outside the ever tightening boundaries of the group into which you happen to belong. I am deeply concerned by the biased and manipulative content found within the media and indeed general entertainment and documentaries. I have doubts that there is a huge conspiracy of a New World Order but I do feel deeply suspicious as to why we are being controlled and misdirected in such a large scale.

I also fear the stability of the global economy and let's face it things appear to be ever increasingly close to pretty alarming times, what with Oil prices, Chinese stock market woes, in fact general global stock market problems and the like. I am not an economist by any means but I do suspect that there are hard times ahead. The problems we face in the west are potentially dire, as the majority of us are accustomed to a consumer driven life of relative luxury. This coupled with the massive numbers of people living in a very limited space means that if things were to deteriorate it could get nasty very quickly and I would prefer to be out of the resulting chaos.

A further concern would be natural disasters. We are all guilty of thinking it will never happen to me. However, it does happen and it could happen at anytime. It's impossible to have every base covered but to have a palm in place and the resources available to mitigate most adverse conditions can only be a prudent safeguard.

I could go on and on, solar storms affecting the national grid, war and well the list keeps going and going as I'm sure it does for many others here. I'm trying to ba fairly general prepper, keeping it simple in stores and educating myself and my family in self sufficiency.
welcome.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.