Hi from North West

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
ojiu0u4

Hi from North West

Post by ojiu0u4 »

Hey All,

Relatively new to actually "doing something" about prepping, although been thinking about possible breakdown scenarios and likely play out of events for several years. I recognize that short term events at local, regional or even national level are probably the most likely thing we need to deal with every five years or so maybe, however... If SHFT...

I do believe that if we consider a 30 year timescale out to 2050 that it is inevitable that "something(s)" will happen that result in human population globally being reduced to around 1B, equivalent to circa 1800-1850. Whether that is due to our own stupidity, our lack of ability to change our behavior or fighting amongst ourselves over the scraps that are left. A perfect storm of population growth, climate change, sea levels, north Atlantic current, pollution, increasing energy use and heat release into atmosphere, peak oil / shale resource depletion, economic stagnation, or expansionist countries looking outside their borders for resources - I fear as a species we collectively will put our heads in the sand or refuse to change until we are past a point of no return when it is too late to effect change. If money would not be worthless at the end of the day, it is nearly worth putting a bet on the Apocalypse happening :o

I also think the UK faces some local / regional / national near term challenges, global weather wierding / jet streams in the wrong place increasing the extremes of drought, flood, arctic winters, lack of political direction on replacing aging power generation infrastructure that is immanently end of life, rising power consumption with decreasing spare capacity, economic challenges / political / nationalism - events from which normality is potentially recoverable and avoiding complete SHTF collapse.

Of course their are all the other things are are overdue for that are totally out of human control with... ice age, super volcano, comet, evil brain sucking aliens, gamma ray burst, polar flip, coronal large mass ejection, wandering black hole... the list goes on and on and tends to be the sort of thing which is global game over I guess - not much prepping you can do against a gamma ray burst or black hole destroying the planet so I don't bother worrying about these sorts of scenarios :D So I guess my paranoia / psychosis is still in check and my wheels haven't fallen off :shock:

What I worry about in my planning is the best way, when that big SHFT event between now and 2050 happens, what the most effective way would be to hide and avoid people in UK until there were 90 to 95% less people to worry about. The UK centric smaller events that are not SHTF grab the weapons and guard the battlements, where you hunker down - I feel prepared for and that I could Bug In and ride out.

It is when we have the armed gangs of looters and starving hordes beating on doors with social law and order having collapsed... what then... In or Out, when do or should we have jumped.
Area 9
hobo

Re: Hi from North West

Post by hobo »

When you put it like that :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: !!!!

I'm still holding a steady course of both prepping for mundane, day-to-day traumas and for the longer term erosion of living standards, freedom and democracy, despite the horror of the G20 love-in AND watching The Road and Day After Tomorrow this weekend!

I still think it'll be the economy that finishes us (well, us proles, at least).

Thanks for the intro! :D
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Ojiu0u4,
Welcome to the forum and I very much enjoyed your introduction.

Lots of info/thoughts without a single mention of Zombies, top stuff.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
tigs

Post by tigs »

welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Where about's in the NW are you from? Do you currently have any preps in place for any of the concerns you mentioned?

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
ojiu0u4

Post by ojiu0u4 »

Hi Quercus-robur,

I am located in Cheshirish type area. Re things in place, yes and no lol, lots of bits are, but the project manger in me can see where all the gaps are as well and the "what ifs", in part because there are so many different things to think about. BI is pretty much covered and I guess the easiest to think about, BO is getting there in terms of what and where - to a degree it depends on what goes wrong. If it is not complete SHTF with roaming mobs, and I just need to ride out 6 months BI, then fairly confident. BO with roaming mods in total SHTF is WIP and needs some very careful thought and coming up with different exit route strategies and destinations, fall back alternative points and weather conditions / time of year. I guess there is always more that could be done, and part of the balance is keeping that sensible and rational and not disappearing down every possibility / financial expense.

If I had a lot lot lot more money to throw at the problem I would steam my fishing trawler here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirta

But seeing as I don't have a fishing trawler, any knowledge of boats, let alone even close to 1% of the money needed, lol that BOL is not going to happen.
Area 9